So usually I post on Wednesday’s and I am a day late but I am blaming that on Mike Kennedy. For those of you who were unable to attend his farewell reception yesterday that’s where I was instead of writing my weekly blog. Some of you may know him well others not so well but I have worked with Dr. Kennedy since he came to our college and will miss him. As one of the early adopters of many technologies offered here at the university he has been one of my “best” customers. Not only did he try many tools but provided great feedback on their use within his course delivery as well as in the classroom. So today I challenge all to try something new this semester!
I am not a Blue Devil but we can also do what they are doing and more
Check out this article Why Duke University Medical Students Excel with Mediasite
As well as using banked recordings and using Desktop Recordings when classes are canceled!
Some quick reminders and links as we start a new semester in a new year! Startup tips from BB can be found here.
Make Available –
- Control Panel > Customization > Properties > Set Availability > Yes
Add instructor, TA to course –
- Control Panel > Users and Groups > User > Find User to Enroll > type username only in the box > change role if needed, and then Submit.
- If that does not work, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the username and role (TA or instructor). The Blackboard team will add your TA or instructor.
Mediasite Desktop Recording – click here
Embed Mediasite into Blackboard – click here
Saba Web Conferencing – click here
Turning Point Cloud – click here
Using Turning Point 5 in Allied Health – contact OET
Tegrity – click here
Yammer – click here
Lockdown Browser – click here
Some new tools to consider Voice Thread and Blackboard Collaborate, Collaborate is a web conferencing program which enables a group of people to interact with one another in a virtual online meeting environment. Collaborate can be accessed “live” anytime from anywhere attendees have access to a computer and an Internet connection. Meetings in Collaborate can be recorded, so those unable to attend the live meeting are able to play back the meeting at a later time.
Anything else? Contact OET for assistance!
Just best wishes for a safe and happy Christmas and New Year’s. Please click the picture below for OET’s Christmas Showcase of Fall Semester 2016!
I subscribed to various blogs, newsletters and one is the “Centre for Learning and Performance Technologies” and there has been a countdown to Christmas with various daily links some interesting and some not so, but a couple of stood out so far which perhaps you may want to try next semester.
- The link was to a Diary as an illustration of providing content with daily entries. Providing a daily flow of content this way, is a great way to deliver what I call a continuous knowledge or learning flow. Is there some content you might provide in this format?
- Learn Free Magic Tricks – why not a little entertainment?
- Highbrow – Have you tried this format for your own courses – 5-minute lessons delivered to inboxes every morning?
- This is one I am checking out Chef2Chef Online Cooking Class
- Put your search skills to test with a Google a day
- RANDOM WIKI PAGE Learn something new every day – without really trying!
- More fun for those DWTS wanna be’s – Learn to Dance Online
- 15 minutes of fiction every day – or How about making e-learning content available like this?
Those are a few, take a break and browse something may just give you an idea to try something new!
Video will acount for over 2/3 of mobile usage in 2018
Social Media Facts 2016 That Will Blow Your Mind – Guess what name babies in Egypt have been given?
Do you want to know? Have you tried finding out with Qualtrics?
Qualtrics is a Web-based survey software for East Carolina University faculty, staff and students. Before creating a survey, ensure you have met the University IRB criteria.
Contact OET to find out how to use this resource. More information can be found at the Qualtrics website.
I blogged about this before but recently had a question come across my desk about creating a calendar to avoid “an organizational nightmare”?
According to the website “Doodle offers a wide selection of online solutions that radically simplify the process of scheduling appointments, ranging from the group event “poll” that doesn’t require registration to the professional appearance with own branding.”
Check it out!
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 10/12 and will return to the office on Friday 10/28. My assistant Matthew Kirschner, email@example.com will be in the office and will be monitoring recordings along with our smart classroom technicians. If you are cancelling class or do not require a recording please let him know.
Following is a list of resources which may be able to assist. Links to my various blogs are located on this page as well.
Help Desk (Michael Davis and Billy Igoe) for this building 744-2903.
Blackboard – Matt Long, Cindy Bowers, Adam Brewer
SABA – John Southworth
Mediasite Troubleshooting – Jarrett Shafer, Josh Brown
My Mediasite – Dennis Allen
Tegrity – Perceival Murphy
WordPress Blogs – Cindy Bower
Academic Technologies – Ginny Sconiers