As the Educational Technologist for the College of Allied Health I am all about promoting technology but a recent article from Campus Technology caught me eye and perhaps yours.
Contrary to what students might like to think, when they multi-task in class on non-academic activities, their test scores go down. And that’s true for even the smartest students. Those are the initial results of a $439,000 study by a Michigan State University research project that was reported on in the September 2014 issue of Computers & Education.”
I still advocate for technology in the classroom BUT why not enrich the learning experience by providing lecture recordings for review and/or preview to course content?
Is it still on VHS? Classrooms don’t have VHS players since the were refreshed and even before that they were eating tapes. Now is the time to really think about getting them digitized or perhaps creating new ones! Perhaps your students can do this as a special project.
Contact OET for more information and assistance.
You may have noticed different backgrounds (themes) for the past few weeks. Wordpress gives you the ability to choose different styles for presenting your information. You can have static pages which do not let commenting by others. Or you can have a mixture of the two as I have done this week with the sliding images theme.
You could have put students in groups and let each student manage a page depending on topics or studies. Lots of uses for this software. Check out the training schedule if you would like to learn more.
I know sometimes my job does require that I do something “cool” and this week it was attending a webinar on “Cool Tools” so I figured for the next few blogs I would share a few that were highlighted!
Clickers are always a fun way to engage students but if you forgot to pick them up from my office here is a way to still have that same experience. Socrative is “smart student response system that empowers teachers to engage their classrooms through a series of educational exercises and games via smartphones, laptops and tablets!”
Contact OET to explore!
SLIDESHARK! Per their website ”SlideShark is the leading app for viewing and sharing PowerPoint® content on the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch. With SlideShark, mobile users can easily view and present PowerPoint slides the way they were meant to be seen—with animations, fonts, colors, graphics, hyperlinks and videos intact.”
By using the broadcast feature to the computer in the classroom you can control your presentation via your IPad - see your slide notes, timers, animation counter and next/previous slides. Go to the app store to download and stop by me office for a demo!
Kudos to Christine Lysaght from PT for bringing this neat feature to my attention!
Android users I have not found a similar app, any suggestions?
And also at your students’ fingertips. Centra now known as SabaMeeting has recently completed an upgrade which allows you to use the desktop interface with all the new features that were added to the browser interface last summer!
You will need to install a small SabaMeeting program on your computer the first time that you join an event; however, as long as you have permission to install programs on your computer, this installation should be fairly straightforward. This will avoid the Java issue which occurred when using the browser interface.
Your students are also able to create SabaMeeting events themselves this year, so be sure to remind them to take advantage of this opportunity to virtually collaborate with others on group assignments.
Contact OET for a demo session and more information!
Is there some technology you need to learn about or that your students need to become familiar with? Well check out Lynda.com’s library of resources. lynda.com is an online learning company that helps anyone learn software, design, and business skills to achieve their personal and professional goals. ECU has a subscription and it is available to you and your students.
Request an account using this link
- Faculty will be able to share content with students using the playlist feature. See the How to Use lynda.com video to get started.
- Faculty and students sign in using their Pirate ID/passphrase.**If either your students or faculty have an existing lynda.com account, we recommend that they merge accounts on the initial login.
- Faculty and students can contact the IT Help Desk for assistance.
Anywhere Polling available via Turning Point application (available in all classrooms) lets you poll over any applications such as a web page, PDF< streaming video, etc.
Anywhere Polling also allows you to poll verbal, on-the-fly questions at anytime during your presentation and it works on Mac’s or PC’s!
You do need a receiver and clickers, open the content to be polled, open Turning Point, Select Anywhere Polling, click open to start polling and close to display the results. It is that easy!
Why not try it out these last days of the semester or include it this summer! Stop by OET for a demo or to learn more!
Some Blackboard enhancements you will find in May -
- Build a profile, have students do this task and it completes the old homepage assignment and appears in all courses.
- Calendar is intuitive, enter a due date on assignments, tests and will automaticallly enter on the calendar. Drag and drop items as well!
- Discussion Forum can be set up that until a student posts an item they can’t see what others have already posted.
- Inline grading on files submitted.
- Exceptions by students on test taking times, availability and attempts.
- Retention center lets you set rules to follow student progress.
and now that you have worked here are 15 things you didn’t know your IPhone could do!
1. Passcode with letters instead of numbers
2. Siri can read your e-mails to you
3. Timestamps on texts
4. Find out what planes are flying above you
5. Shake to undo and redo texts
6. More detailed calendar
7. Double tap the shift key for caps lock
8. Use your phone as a level
9. Turn off in-app purchases
10. Burst photos
11. The em-dash exists
12. Shoot a photo with the volume button
13. Use your Apple earbuds
14. Custom vibrations
15. Airplane Mode = faster recharge