5. Select Print and print as PDF so you can save and print or send directly to your printer
No it’s not football season and the baseball team has just started back practicing. But many of you are giving first exams and/or projects and now it is time to grade. Rubrics help and Blackboard enables you to add rubrics for grading. You can also use inline grading directly in Blackboard. Perhaps you would rather give more personal feedback using audio and video then try one of the newest tools available directly in Blackboard, Voice Thread.
Need information on any of these tools contact this office for a demo.
Found your own tool that works, share it here!
- Open System Preferences, either from the Dock or from the Apple menu.
- In the System Preferences, select the General preference pane.
- The middle section of the General preference pane controls when scroll bars appear.
- Select “Always” from the Show Scroll Bars options.
Some quick reminders and links as we start a new semester in a new year! Startup tips from BB can be found here.
Make Available –
- Control Panel > Customization > Properties > Set Availability > Yes
Add instructor, TA to course –
- Control Panel > Users and Groups > User > Find User to Enroll > type username only in the box > change role if needed, and then Submit.
- If that does not work, please send an email to email@example.com with the username and role (TA or instructor). The Blackboard team will add your TA or instructor.
Mediasite Desktop Recording – click here
Embed Mediasite into Blackboard – click here
Saba Web Conferencing – click here
Turning Point Cloud – click here
Using Turning Point 5 in Allied Health – contact OET
Tegrity – click here
Yammer – click here
Lockdown Browser – click here
Some new tools to consider Voice Thread and Blackboard Collaborate, Collaborate is a web conferencing program which enables a group of people to interact with one another in a virtual online meeting environment. Collaborate can be accessed “live” anytime from anywhere attendees have access to a computer and an Internet connection. Meetings in Collaborate can be recorded, so those unable to attend the live meeting are able to play back the meeting at a later time.
Anything else? Contact OET for assistance!
What’s in your wallet? Advertisement – I am asking a similar question which is “What’s in your Classroom”? Are you trying something new this semester or have you tweaked something old? Any light bulb moments? Is it working or have you tried something that just isn’t going right?
Take a moment and share here or send me an email and I will blog about it! What might just be old hat to you may be a treasure to some one else, please share!
Just to get you started! and here is the answer to one of many questions how to add an Instructor or TA to your BB course.
- Make sure Edit Mode is ON
- Click on the Users and Groups area of the Control Panel
- Click on Users
- Click on Enroll Users and select Find Users to Enroll from the drop down
- On the Add Enrollments page, enter the teaching assistant’s or instructor’s username (do NOT include their email address)
- Select the appropriate role from the dropdown (course builder, grader, student, instructor, student or teaching assistant)
- click on Submit
A few years ago I did the countdown to fall semester. I received various comments and some groans but in less than 3 weeks we have many new students and returning students headed into our classrooms so are a few resources to check out! Some BB tips and some connecting with others in and around the classroom!
There is a lot for instructors to keep track of at the end of the semester. Here are some tips on how to avoid some of the common problems we see instructors run into at the end of the semester:
- Get your Gradebook in order.
If you have any questions about setting up your gradebook, setting up extra credit, or excluding some items for specific students, it is much easier to get help now than it will be during the rush period at the end of the semester.
- Make sure your Final Exams are setup with the settings that are the least likely to cause issues.
The Internet is a wonderful thing that still fails on a regular basis. With the right settings, you can make sure that a small connection issue doesn’t cause you or your students major headaches.
- Make sure all assignments are setup correctly and clearly so students can submit their work.
Which tool(s) are you using for assignments? Did you want to have SafeAssign review the paper? Make sure you have the settings correct!
- Are you planning on allowing some or all students to make up missed work?
Many tools can all be set up to allow a student to take them after the due date, or even retake them in some cases, but each tool requires specific settings to allow this to happen.
- Preparing for a summer course? Want to reuse some of the material from your spring or earlier course?
There’s no reason to reinvent the wheel every semester. Reuse your best material by duplicating an existing site.
As the ITC for our college I can do more than monitor room recordings. The ITC page on the OFE website describes “The role of the ITC is to promote, support, and help integrate digital technologies into learning and teaching at East Carolina University and to empower faculty members in the use of technology in education. . .assist in the use of Blackboard for course material delivery, advise on the organization and presentation of course materials, support the creation and presentation of multimedia components, and teach web page creation and design. They must be able to make creative proposals for course design, supervise projects, direct personnel, and carry through from design to course delivery.”
So take advantage of my skill set and let me help you try something different with your course or maybe just a bit of tweaking!
Safe Assign – make sure to Synchronize your Course prior to deploying a Safe Assignment. Safe Assignments are now an option within Assignments.
Want to use Respondus LockDown Browser – make it available to use by going to Control Panel, Customization, Tool Availability and click Respondus LockDown Browser to make it available.
Need link for students to download Respondus LockDown Browser – here it is http://www.respondus.com/lockdown/information.pl?ID=745639734
Need to download gradecenter? – go to grade center and click Work Offline. Save the gradebook to your Piratedrive for safe keeping.
You can still set up web conferencing or lecture capturing sessions for your class. Just contact OET!