Student Blackboard Support
Faculty Blackboard Start of Semester Tips
Embedding Mediasite into Blackboard
Video Release Form
Requirements for Viewing a Mediasite Presentation
SABA Web Conferencing
Using Pirate Port
Using VPN to Connect Remotely
Using Online Tools
Just to get you started! and here is the answer to one of many questions how to add an Instructor or TA to your BB course.
- Make sure Edit Mode is ON
- Click on the Users and Groups area of the Control Panel
- Click on Users
- Click on Enroll Users and select Find Users to Enroll from the drop down
- On the Add Enrollments page, enter the teaching assistant’s or instructor’s username (do NOT include their email address)
- Select the appropriate role from the dropdown (course builder, grader, student, instructor, student or teaching assistant)
- click on Submit
A few years ago I did the countdown to fall semester. I received various comments and some groans but in less than 3 weeks we have many new students and returning students headed into our classrooms so are a few resources to check out! Some BB tips and some connecting with others in and around the classroom!
InLine Grading with Blackboard
Smart Podiums in the Classrooms
Web Conferencing with WebEx
Skype for Business
But it says it all! From https://oirt.rutgers.edu/end-of-semester-tips-for-instructors-using-lmss-learning-management-systems/
There is a lot for instructors to keep track of at the end of the semester. Here are some tips on how to avoid some of the common problems we see instructors run into at the end of the semester:
- Get your Gradebook in order.
If you have any questions about setting up your gradebook, setting up extra credit, or excluding some items for specific students, it is much easier to get help now than it will be during the rush period at the end of the semester.
- Make sure your Final Exams are setup with the settings that are the least likely to cause issues.
The Internet is a wonderful thing that still fails on a regular basis. With the right settings, you can make sure that a small connection issue doesn’t cause you or your students major headaches.
- Make sure all assignments are setup correctly and clearly so students can submit their work.
Which tool(s) are you using for assignments? Did you want to have SafeAssign review the paper? Make sure you have the settings correct!
- Are you planning on allowing some or all students to make up missed work?
Many tools can all be set up to allow a student to take them after the due date, or even retake them in some cases, but each tool requires specific settings to allow this to happen.
- Preparing for a summer course? Want to reuse some of the material from your spring or earlier course?
There’s no reason to reinvent the wheel every semester. Reuse your best material by duplicating an existing site.
As the ITC for our college I can do more than monitor room recordings. The ITC page on the OFE website describes “The role of the ITC is to promote, support, and help integrate digital technologies into learning and teaching at East Carolina University and to empower faculty members in the use of technology in education. . .assist in the use of Blackboard for course material delivery, advise on the organization and presentation of course materials, support the creation and presentation of multimedia components, and teach web page creation and design. They must be able to make creative proposals for course design, supervise projects, direct personnel, and carry through from design to course delivery.”
So take advantage of my skill set and let me help you try something different with your course or maybe just a bit of tweaking!
Safe Assign – make sure to Synchronize your Course prior to deploying a Safe Assignment. Safe Assignments are now an option within Assignments.
Want to use Respondus LockDown Browser – make it available to use by going to Control Panel, Customization, Tool Availability and click Respondus LockDown Browser to make it available.
Need link for students to download Respondus LockDown Browser – here it is http://www.respondus.com/lockdown/information.pl?ID=745639734
Need to download gradecenter? – go to grade center and click Work Offline. Save the gradebook to your Piratedrive for safe keeping.
You can still set up web conferencing or lecture capturing sessions for your class. Just contact OET!
Some reminders for start of semester
- Make sure your content has been rolled over to your summer classes, if not please go to this link http://www.ecu.edu/blackboard/
- Submit your mediasite recording form or request for release of past recordings.Contact the OET for form and or additional information
- If you are interested in using the “clickers” for your class please advise the OET what dates, times and rooms you will need the equipment.
- Advise OET of any special software that should be loaded onto classroom computers.
- If you have a guest speaker whose voice needs reinforcement contact the OET to reserve their voice reinforcement system.
- For those conducting online office hours or class meetings with Saba. .
- Make your class available in Blackboard, Customization, Properties, Set Availability.
Check out this video about creating PowerPoint slides at least the first few minutes! Fast forward to 22 minutes, this is really worth the time! And some good ideas too and not just for lecture capture!
Click here to view the video!
Try Lynda.com as a resource
So much going on so many emails. I even missed sending last week’s blog so will do double duty today!
First here is a neat slide show on Disruptive Technologies 2015-2106 will give you something to think about.
Now if you have missed the recent posts from ECU Learning Technologies Digest let me just highlight some of the postings!
Classroom Selection for Summer and Fall 2015: New Options
As you consider your future classroom technology needs, here is a description of some of the equipment you will find in the classrooms across campus. New options include AirMedia, which allows you to present wirelessly from any device, Desktop Recording with MDR or Tegrity, and Video Conference using Saba or Jabber. Visit the Classroom Technology Database for even more options and to see the complete list of equipment offerings per room.