CULTURAL ANTHROPOLOGY & ETHNIC STUDIES CLASS – FALL 2017

WE ARE BACK AGAIN!!

It’s the beginning of ANOTHER new academic year here at East Carolina University! It’s really hard to believe but I am beginning my 12th year here at ECU!

Well, this fall semester is different from others here at ECU primarily because I am teaching a combination course — Introductory to Cultural Anthropology and Introduction to Ethnic Studies. Since both courses cover similar content material, theoretical approaches and perspectives on the world regarding human populations and ethnic groups, it seems plausible to combine both classes. So that’s what I am doing this fall semester. In addition, since I have taught these types of classes for over two decades (here and elsewhere), it is a good time to combine both courses and see what new direction this collaboration will take us.

The major objectives of my Cultural Anthropology and Ethnic Studies class are: 1. To provide a comprehensive introduction to the discipline of Cultural Anthropology — its fundamental principles and key concepts; 2. To encourage awareness of cultural, ethnic, and human diversity; 3. To help all students make sense of our increasingly interconnected world and to find their particular place in it; and 4. To help students to find out how they can make a difference in our local and global communities.

What I REALLY want students to take away from this combined Cultural Anthropology and Ethnic Studies class is take more of an effort in gaining a “CULTURAL RELATIVISTIC” perspective of other ethnic groups and populations as well as other cultures so that our society can get along better and that my students will be better equipped with new skills once they graduate from ECU!

Here are a few photos of my combined Cultural Anthropology and Ethnic Studies students as well as a Selfie or two!

SPRING 2017 SEMESTER – TEACHING ANOTHER HONORS COLLEGE SEMINAR COURSE ON RACE RELATIONS AND MEDICAL ANTHROPOLOGY AND ETHNIC HEALTH and HEALTH DISPARITIES

Where has the time gone? It’s March already and I finally have the chance to update my Course Happenings Blog! As you can guess, it’s another busy semester yet just as enjoyable as last year because I have another set of outstanding students in my Honors Seminar course as well as excellent students in my undergraduate Medical Anthropology course and graduate Ethnic Health & Health Disparities course.

As a reminder, here is the course description of my Honors Race Relations seminar:

Why is the United State still having major race relations problems in 2017? Do you want to continue to sit along the sidelines or help solve this issue in our country particularly here at ECU? This course aims to examine, discuss, and debate the major concepts and frameworks associated with race relations in America. Students will not only gather background information on this issue through traditional research methods but also gather data by listening to key administrators at ECU and other NC state universities. After students gather this data, they will present their own race relations solutions to the Chancellor’s Office at East Carolina University.

So here are the three courses that I am teaching this Spring 2017 semester:

HNRS 2013 Breaking the Boundaries of Race in America: Developing Race Relations Solutions for East Carolina University

ANTH 3252 Medical Anthropology

MPH 6008 Ethnic Health & Health Disparities

Interestingly, now that I am used to my other courses always being online – Medical Anthropology and Ethnic Health & Health Disparities — it allows me to lecture differently for the online students versus the face-to-face lectures for my Honors Seminar course.  In otherwords, I have to be very direct and concise for the online students as opposed to the face-to-face (traditional lecture setting at the university lecture room), I can take my time and elaborate more on specific concepts. Both have their ADVANTAGES and disadvantages. As for right now, I am “cool” with it.

So if you are interested in any of my Spring 2017 courses and have any follow-up questions, send me an email at: baileye@ecu.edu. That’s what’s HAPPENING in my “Course Happenings” course activities at East Carolina University for the Spring 2017!

End of the Semester – GREAT CLASS!

I can’t believe it’s over yet it truly is! The Cultural Anthropology – ANTH 2200 course is over. I submitted my grades last week and now finishing up with all the fall semester activities.

Throughout this fall semester and particularly at the end, my Cultural Anthropology class was another great class filled with all types of phenomenal, engaging and laid-back students who shared their opinions on various class topics and class exercises. In fact, we talked about politics, race and ethnicity, language and the use of slang terms, student groupings, and of course CULTURE!

All in all, I had another enjoyable time with my Cultural Anthropology class and I hope that they enjoyed how I taught this course because it’s different than other Cultural Anthropology courses! Now that they have survived my Cultural Anthropology course, I considered them officially GRADUATES of Dr. Bailey’s Cultural Anthropology course! Now they are ready for the WORLD!

Check out a few photos from the last day!

Fun expression photo #1

Fun expression photo #1

Fun Expression #2

Fun Expression #2

Here is my Class Selfie!

Here is my Class Selfie!

Cultural Anthropology Class – Fall 2016

WE ARE BACK!!

It’s the beginning of another academic year here at East Carolina University and I am delighted to get the semester started. One of the classes that I teach during the fall semester is an undergraduate course – Cultural Anthropology. On the very first day of class, the large lecture hall (Rm 265) was filled to capacity. This was the FIRST time that this lecture hall was filled to capacity for my Cultural Anthropology course. Quite naturally, I LIKED IT – the bigger, the better!

The major objectives of my Cultural Anthropology class are: 1. To provide a comprehensive introduction to the discipline of Cultural Anthropology – its fundamental principles and key concepts; 2. To encourage awareness of cultural and human diversity; 3. To help all students make sense of our increasingly interconnected world and to find their particular place in it; and 4. To help students to find out how they can make a difference in our local and global communities.

What I REALLY try to emphasize in this Cultural Anthropology class is for ALL my students to take more of an effort in gaining a “Cultural Relativistic” perspective of other people and their culture as well as to discover how Cultural Anthropology can help their major AND become more employable when they graduate from ECU.

Yet, I was caught by a big surprise during the first week of the semester. I became very sick suddenly and was hospitalized for dehydration during the first week. I therefore had to miss a couple of days. Fortunately, I recovered quickly because of the great treatment from my primary physician and the medical professionals at Vidant Health hospital.

So what a way to START THE SEMESTER!!

I want to thank my Cultural Anthropology class for their patience and understanding and NOW we are Officially BACK in stride lecturing about Cultural Anthropology.

Here are few photos of my Cultural Anthropology students as well as a few Selfies!

Cultural Anthro class 1

Cultural Anthro class 1

Cultural Anthro class 2

Cultural Anthro class 2

Cultural Anthro Selfie 1

Cultural Anthro Selfie 1

Cultural Anthro Selfie 3

Cultural Anthro Selfie 3

Cultural Anthro Selfie 2

Cultural Anthro Selfie 2

SPRING 2016 Semester – Teaching an Honors College Seminar Course & 2 Other Courses

It’s hard to believe, but it’s February 2016 already and I haven’t had enough time to update this Course Happenings Blog until now! As you can guess, it has been another busy and amazing Spring semester in which I have very little time just to think about what I’m doing.

Fortunately, this Spring semester I have made the time to RE-ENERGIZE my thought processes and allocated QUALITY time to my courses. Well, this semester I am teaching my first Honors College seminar course and it has been fantastic and exhilarating! The title of my Honors course is:

Breaking the Boundaries of Race in America: Developing Race Relations Solutions for East Carolina University

This Honors seminar course has been a complete pleasure to teach and work with the seven honor students who are taking my class. All of my students have already challenged themselves and others on a number of culturally sensitive race relations issues and now we are in the stage of the class focusing upon SOLUTIONS for race relations issues!! Who would have figured that I would be teaching this type of class at ECU, but I finally am accomplishing this major objective of my teaching career. That is, teach meaningful and thought-provoking classes in which students can be the leaders and the change agents of society.

By the way, here is the course description of the class:

Why is the United States still having major race relations problems in 2016? Do you want to continue to sit along the sidelines or help solve this issue in our country particularly here at ECU? This course aims to examine, discuss, and debate the major concepts and frameworks associated with race relations in America. Students will not only gather background information on this issue through traditional research methods but also gather data by listening to key administrators at ECU and other NC state universities. After students gather this data, they will present their own race relations solutions to the Chancellor’s Office at East Carolina University.

So here are the three courses that I am teaching this Spring Semester:

ANTH 3252 Medical Anthropology

Of course, I enjoy teaching my undergraduate Medical Anthropology class and my graduate course – Ethnic Health & Health Disparities. Both of these courses are entirely online and students prefer both of them taught in this format as opposed to face-to-face in a lecture hall. In fact, both of my online courses continue to increase in enrollment each year that I teach them.

So if you are interested in any of my Spring 2016 courses and have any follow-up questions, send me an email at: baileye@ecu.edu. That’s what’s happening in my “Course Happenings” course activities at East Carolina University for the spring 2016!

Cultural Anthropology Class – Fall 2015 – THANKS FOR A GREAT CLASS!

Class Selfie 1

Class Selfie 1

Cultural Anth 2

Cultural Anth 2

Cultural Anth 1

Cultural Anth 1

Well, it is start of a New Year 2016 and I am preparing for all my classes for the Spring 2016. However, I want to acknowledge the completion of my Cultural Anthropology class during the fall.

This was a larger Cultural Anthropology class that I normally teach and I thoroughly enjoyed all the students. Even though it was a little challenging to keep everyone involved, I managed to add more class exercises and fun activity that kept the class more relevant and practical for all students.

So here is my THANKS and APPRECIATION for an outstanding Cultural Anthropology class! Check out my class photo and class selfie! Yes, they gave me permission to take their picture.

Fall 2015 – Global Public Health class

One of the best things about the fall semester is that I get to teach a different type of class – an online Global Public Health class for graduate students. My online Global Public Health (MPH 6007) course is apart of my Ethnic and Rural Health Disparities (ERHD) Graduate Certificate online program and it is designed to get our graduate students to think outside the general framework and structure of our typical public health course. That’s probably why I truly get overly excited about teaching this class each fall semester.

Additionally, what makes this class so special is that there is always new global public health issues in the news each year and particularly this time of the year so I can usually include these global public health events into my lectures. This also allows students to see how important this class is to them and brings the practical basis of this course directly to them.

What’s particularly special about this global public health class is that I use my podcast and webcast lectures the best way that I can to HIGHLIGHT the key issues from the weekly material. Moreover, the online videos that I use throughout the semester provides students with a better understanding of the specific global public health issue.

Thus far in the semester, all the students have been very much involved in the lecture material and are truly engaged in the weekly discussion board sessions. As each week goes by, I can tell that the students’ perspectives are changing and they very much are embracing a more broad approach to global public health!

That’s why the course objectives are so important for this class. They are:
1. Identify and assess the major components of medical anthropology and public health as they relate to global public health issues.
2. Identify and discuss the major global public health concerns of specific populations from one country to another.
3. Apply principles and strategies derived from medical anthropology and public health toward planning, implementing and evaluating global public health intervention programs.

Fall 2015 – Cultural Anthropology class

Here is the rest of the class conducting observation.

Here is the class conducting observation fieldwork

We are well underway in the Fall semester and my Cultural Anthropology class has been a delight this semester already. Now that it’s October, I have already given the class their first exam and a majority performed well on it. This class is a bit different than previous classes because I am located in a larger lecture hall and I have more students (60) in this class. In fact, I prefer larger classes. With larger classes, they tend to be more diverse so it allows me to experiment with so much more lecture material.

For example with this larger class, I like to add more class exercises in which students have to think differently about the cultural anthropological topics. Early in the semester, I took the class outside to do observational fieldwork of student behavior. Check out a couple of pictures from our visit outside. Even though I had told them that we were going to go outside, they were a bit surprised when I told them that we were going outside. Overall, it was a fun class exercise!

Now that I have been teaching this Cultural Anthropology class for the past 30 years, I still know how to meet the course objectives which are:
1. To provide a comprehensive introduction to the discipline of Cultural Anthropology – its fundamental principles and key concepts.
2. To encourage awareness of cultural and human diversity.
3. To help all students make sense of our increasingly interconnected world and to find their particular place in it.
4. To help students to find out how they can make a difference in our local and global communities.

Global Cultures class – Fantastic first Experience!

Global Cultures class

Global Cultures class

Global Cultures class

Global Cultures class

Global Cultures class

Global Cultures class

Well, I accomplished it! I created and completed the teaching of a brand new introductory course entitled, “Understanding and Appreciating Our Global World: A Multicultural Perspective,” or in otherwords – Global Cultures.

This is a course that I felt our university and students desperately needed and in fact they do! The students in this very first class did an excellent job in staying with the content of my course and participating on all the different exercise issues related to global cultures. By the end of the semester, we learned about 25 countries!!

We learned about each country’s history, sociodemographics, cultural patterns, and their individual language greeting phrases. Of course, it was a bit challenging for students at the beginning of the course, but eventually they opened-up and expressed a wide array of perceptions.

Check out the class photos! They were a special group of Global Cultures students – THE FIRST!

Co-Mentoring Honor Students Internship Project – “Let’s Talk About Race”

Our Group Selfie

Our Group Selfie

Dr. Fraley, Matt, Zoe and myself

Dr. Fraley, Matt, Zoe and myself

A few nights ago, I had the pleasure to attend the ECU Honors College 2015 Honors 3100 & EC Scholar Internship Showcase event. Zoe Hinton & Matt Early – the two Honor students that I co-mentored with Dr. Todd Fraley presented their internship project entitled, “Let’s Talk About Race.” I was very proud of their motivation and passion for this issue because not too many students would have the courage to address this topic particularly nowadays. During the event, I was given an opportunity as their Co-Mentor to speak to the crowd to let them know how important their internship is to the entire ECU community.

Check out a few photos including our group Selfie!

1 2 3 8