Fall 2018 Cultural Anthropology and Ethnic Studies Class

Well, here we are again. Another Fall Semester and new academic year (2018 – 2019) has started! I can’t believe how the summer went by so fast and now we are starting a brand new year!!

Normally, I would have posted about my fall classes earlier yet we were interrupted by Hurricane Florence during the week of September 10 thru 19th!! Classes were cancelled and students had to leave the university entirely!

Now, we are back in the flow of the semester and my COMBINED class – Intro to Cultural Anthropology and Intro to Ethnic Studies — is coming along very well. The major course objectives are:

1. To provide a comprehensive introduction to the discipline of Cultural Anthropology — its fundamental principles and key concepts.
  2. To encourage awareness of cultural and human diversity.
  3. To help all students make sense of our increasingly interconnected world and to find their particular place in it.
  4. To help students to find out how they can make a difference in our local and global communities.

Check out a few photos of my great class!

Cultural Anth & Ethnic Studies – Photo 1

Cultural Anth & Ethnic Studies – Photo 2

Class Selfie

Summer 2018 New Course – Global Public Health Study Abroad Experience – MPH 6017

Well, it finally happened! My new study abroad course was approved and I took my first set of graduate public health students to Vienna, Austria and London, England. This course was a new course that I have been working on for the past 3 years. It finally was placed into the ECU system and enough students enrolled in which I could make plans to travel abroad during the summer session.

The first part of this Summer I course was online in which my colleague in Public Health and I presented our lectures to the students. I lectured about the history of Austrian and England health care systems and my colleague lectured about the basic components of epidemiology. After the students completed their weekly assignments and took their Midterm exam, they were ready to travel abroad with me.

Here were the major course objectives:

1. Examine and experience the countries of Austria and England.
  2. Evaluate and critique the major public health systems and policies of Austria and England.
  3. Develop a global public health initiative for a specific public health issue in either Austria or England.

For 2 weeks, my graduate students (Rebecca, LaKeisha, and Kami) and I visited and conducted public health fieldwork in the neighborhoods of Vienna, Austria and London, England. Wow!! What a great cultural experience and opportunity to observe, interact, engage and learn from local residents about their public health and medical systems!

Kami, Rebecca, LaKeisha and I in Vienna

Rebecca, LaKeisha, Kami and I in London

I highly RECOMMEND all students (graduate and undergraduate) to take the opportunity to travel abroad while they are still here at ECU! It will be well worth all the time and energy. The most important take away from my global public health study abroad experience is that my GRADUATE STUDENTS now see public health and medicine in a completely different way now!

2018 New Course – Race and Ethnic Relations: Discovering New Solutions

Visiting a Seminar Class

It’s a brand new semester and I am teaching a brand new course entitled, “Race and Ethnic Relations: Discovering New Solutions.” Although it took a while for this course to be approved, I felt that it was necessary to establish an undergraduate course like this one simply because there was nothing in our Anthropology department as well as in Harriott College of Arts & Sciences which would address the issues of race and ethnic relations in the manner of which that I wanted to do.

In general, the major course objectives are:

1. To examine, discuss, and debate the major concepts and theories asssociated with race and ethnic relations.
  2. To apply anthropological techniques to collect cultural data on specific issues on race and ethnic relations.
  3. Develop individual and/or group race and ethnic relations solutions.

Thus, the primary focus of this course is for students to find new ways to resolve all types of race and ethnic relation and to DISCOVER new solutions!!

Check out a couple of photos of my first class on Race and Ethnic Relations here at ECU!

Here is a portion of my new Race and Ethnic Relations Class

2017 Global Public Health Fieldwork Proposal Titles

Well… it’s been another successful MPH 6007 Global Public Health course taught entirely online during the Fall 2017 semester. Each graduate student provided a wealth of interesting dialogue, insight and analysis throughout the entire semester. Of course, I had fun presenting my weekly podcast/webcast lectures to the entire class as well.

One of the additional requirements of this online global public health class was that each graduate student completed a global public health proposal on specific global public health topic of their choice. Wow!!! This semester, I had some fantastic topics and proposals.

Here is a list of the TITLES of this semester’s GLOBAL PUBLIC HEALTH PROPOSALS:

Ritualizing Resettlement: A Performative Approach to Narrative Practice among African Refugees in the United States

Infant Mortality in Monaco, Japan and the United States and a Plan for Improving Infant Mortality in Afghanistan

Mistreatment of Black Americans in Health Care

Health Needs of Resettled Refugee Youth in North Carolina: A Qualitative Study on the Perspective of Health Care Providers

Aging Population: A Global Public Health Issue — A Comparison between Japan and the United States

The Impact of Vector-Borne Diseases on Global Health

Exploring Global Warming: Related Asthma in Chinese and American Communities

HIV/AIDS in Thailand

An Analysis of HPV Vaccination among African American and Latino Populations in North Carolina

Fishing for Health: A Global Approach to Commercial Fishing Fatalities

Dietary Habits among Rural Eastern North Carolina Residents and Minami Furano, Japan: A Comparison Study

Fall 2017 Cultural Anthropology & Ethnic Studies Class – We Made it!

Amazing!!! Our Fall 2017 Cultural Anthropology & Intro to Ethnic Studies class has completed! This is the very FIRST time that I combined an Introductory Cultural Anthropology class with a brand new Introductory to Ethnic Studies class this semester! The primary reason for combining both classes was that we covered similar content material and that both set of students would benefit in being together in the same classroom.

I would say that it was definitely a SUCCESS!! I truly enjoyed the combination of these two undergraduate classes because the way that I teach these classes involves lots of interaction and engagement of lecture material and I believe the students appreciated the added discussions and class exercises.

So yes — we made it and I want to thank both classes for an excellent Fall 2017 semester!

CULTURAL ANTHROPOLOGY & ETHNIC STUDIES CLASS – FALL 2017

WE ARE BACK AGAIN!!

It’s the beginning of ANOTHER new academic year here at East Carolina University! It’s really hard to believe but I am beginning my 12th year here at ECU!

Well, this fall semester is different from others here at ECU primarily because I am teaching a combination course — Introductory to Cultural Anthropology and Introduction to Ethnic Studies. Since both courses cover similar content material, theoretical approaches and perspectives on the world regarding human populations and ethnic groups, it seems plausible to combine both classes. So that’s what I am doing this fall semester. In addition, since I have taught these types of classes for over two decades (here and elsewhere), it is a good time to combine both courses and see what new direction this collaboration will take us.

The major objectives of my Cultural Anthropology and Ethnic Studies class are: 1. To provide a comprehensive introduction to the discipline of Cultural Anthropology — its fundamental principles and key concepts; 2. To encourage awareness of cultural, ethnic, and human diversity; 3. To help all students make sense of our increasingly interconnected world and to find their particular place in it; and 4. To help students to find out how they can make a difference in our local and global communities.

What I REALLY want students to take away from this combined Cultural Anthropology and Ethnic Studies class is take more of an effort in gaining a “CULTURAL RELATIVISTIC” perspective of other ethnic groups and populations as well as other cultures so that our society can get along better and that my students will be better equipped with new skills once they graduate from ECU!

Here are a few photos of my combined Cultural Anthropology and Ethnic Studies students as well as a Selfie or two!

SPRING 2017 SEMESTER – TEACHING ANOTHER HONORS COLLEGE SEMINAR COURSE ON RACE RELATIONS AND MEDICAL ANTHROPOLOGY AND ETHNIC HEALTH and HEALTH DISPARITIES

Where has the time gone? It’s March already and I finally have the chance to update my Course Happenings Blog! As you can guess, it’s another busy semester yet just as enjoyable as last year because I have another set of outstanding students in my Honors Seminar course as well as excellent students in my undergraduate Medical Anthropology course and graduate Ethnic Health & Health Disparities course.

As a reminder, here is the course description of my Honors Race Relations seminar:

Why is the United State still having major race relations problems in 2017? Do you want to continue to sit along the sidelines or help solve this issue in our country particularly here at ECU? This course aims to examine, discuss, and debate the major concepts and frameworks associated with race relations in America. Students will not only gather background information on this issue through traditional research methods but also gather data by listening to key administrators at ECU and other NC state universities. After students gather this data, they will present their own race relations solutions to the Chancellor’s Office at East Carolina University.

So here are the three courses that I am teaching this Spring 2017 semester:

HNRS 2013 Breaking the Boundaries of Race in America: Developing Race Relations Solutions for East Carolina University

ANTH 3252 Medical Anthropology

MPH 6008 Ethnic Health & Health Disparities

Interestingly, now that I am used to my other courses always being online – Medical Anthropology and Ethnic Health & Health Disparities — it allows me to lecture differently for the online students versus the face-to-face lectures for my Honors Seminar course.  In otherwords, I have to be very direct and concise for the online students as opposed to the face-to-face (traditional lecture setting at the university lecture room), I can take my time and elaborate more on specific concepts. Both have their ADVANTAGES and disadvantages. As for right now, I am “cool” with it.

So if you are interested in any of my Spring 2017 courses and have any follow-up questions, send me an email at: baileye@ecu.edu. That’s what’s HAPPENING in my “Course Happenings” course activities at East Carolina University for the Spring 2017!

End of the Semester – GREAT CLASS!

I can’t believe it’s over yet it truly is! The Cultural Anthropology – ANTH 2200 course is over. I submitted my grades last week and now finishing up with all the fall semester activities.

Throughout this fall semester and particularly at the end, my Cultural Anthropology class was another great class filled with all types of phenomenal, engaging and laid-back students who shared their opinions on various class topics and class exercises. In fact, we talked about politics, race and ethnicity, language and the use of slang terms, student groupings, and of course CULTURE!

All in all, I had another enjoyable time with my Cultural Anthropology class and I hope that they enjoyed how I taught this course because it’s different than other Cultural Anthropology courses! Now that they have survived my Cultural Anthropology course, I considered them officially GRADUATES of Dr. Bailey’s Cultural Anthropology course! Now they are ready for the WORLD!

Check out a few photos from the last day!

Fun expression photo #1

Fun expression photo #1

Fun Expression #2

Fun Expression #2

Here is my Class Selfie!

Here is my Class Selfie!

Cultural Anthropology Class – Fall 2016

WE ARE BACK!!

It’s the beginning of another academic year here at East Carolina University and I am delighted to get the semester started. One of the classes that I teach during the fall semester is an undergraduate course – Cultural Anthropology. On the very first day of class, the large lecture hall (Rm 265) was filled to capacity. This was the FIRST time that this lecture hall was filled to capacity for my Cultural Anthropology course. Quite naturally, I LIKED IT – the bigger, the better!

The major objectives of my Cultural Anthropology class are: 1. To provide a comprehensive introduction to the discipline of Cultural Anthropology – its fundamental principles and key concepts; 2. To encourage awareness of cultural and human diversity; 3. To help all students make sense of our increasingly interconnected world and to find their particular place in it; and 4. To help students to find out how they can make a difference in our local and global communities.

What I REALLY try to emphasize in this Cultural Anthropology class is for ALL my students to take more of an effort in gaining a “Cultural Relativistic” perspective of other people and their culture as well as to discover how Cultural Anthropology can help their major AND become more employable when they graduate from ECU.

Yet, I was caught by a big surprise during the first week of the semester. I became very sick suddenly and was hospitalized for dehydration during the first week. I therefore had to miss a couple of days. Fortunately, I recovered quickly because of the great treatment from my primary physician and the medical professionals at Vidant Health hospital.

So what a way to START THE SEMESTER!!

I want to thank my Cultural Anthropology class for their patience and understanding and NOW we are Officially BACK in stride lecturing about Cultural Anthropology.

Here are few photos of my Cultural Anthropology students as well as a few Selfies!

Cultural Anthro class 1

Cultural Anthro class 1

Cultural Anthro class 2

Cultural Anthro class 2

Cultural Anthro Selfie 1

Cultural Anthro Selfie 1

Cultural Anthro Selfie 3

Cultural Anthro Selfie 3

Cultural Anthro Selfie 2

Cultural Anthro Selfie 2

1 2 3 9