Study abroad intro

Hey everyone my names Tyler Hayden and I am a senior at ECU. I am majoring in Biochemistry and want to go to dental school. After reading this you might wonder why I want to go on this trip. After a few years at ECU I started to realize that my major wasn’t too interesting and bored me. I have always been an avid sports fan and follow almost every sport. During my junior year I realized that I was way ahead of schedule to graduate on time so I started a Sports Studies minor. This was honestly the best thing that I have done academically at ECU and fits into all of my interest with sports. I wanted to go on this trip for a few reasons. 1) I needed a few more credits to complete my minor and I will be getting 6 of those. 2) I have had classes with both Dr. Fraley and Dr. Warner so the trip seemed like a good fit. 3) Australia just seems like an amazing place to visit and live. If I don’t get into dental school my first time applying I hope to get a job related to sports and biochemistry. Hopefully this trip will help me with that as well.

Before taking the classes for this study abroad trip I assumed much of American and Australian culture was the same. I knew that there were some differences from watching tv shows or movies but from what I heard both countries were similar. After reading some of the articles my opinion has definitely changed. While some of the sports culture might be similar I think Australia will be more laid back and have a slower pace of life. As Americans I think we are in a hurry to do everything and this will be something that we will have to get used to abroad. Also I think Australians appreciate the outdoors and wildlife more. Many of their native animals are symbols of their culture and society. It also seems as if more people participate in outdoor activities whether it be surfing, hiking, running, etc. The food might also be different than it is here in the US.

During this trip I think the best way to learn is to be as interactive as possible. I want to meet as many people as possible and ask questions during all of the lectures. I think it will be really important to go out and explore the different cities/towns during our free time. This is only my second time traveling outside of the states so I want to really understand what it is like to live in Australia.