Brenna Gilmore: Sydney Day 1

We are finally in Sydney!  Even though the weather is still a little chilly I can already tell that I am going to love it here.  All of the food places, shopping, and architecture of the buildings is so different and I can’t seem to wrap my head around the fact that places like Sydney exist and I’ve never been there!   It’s bigger than Melbourne and it seems like there is going to be more to do.  Everyone in our group is starting to become more comfortable with each other so it’s like we are turning into a family.  That is such a comforting feeling being thousands of miles from home!  One of the first things we got to see when we arrived was the Sydney Harbor Bridge which was MASSIVE.  I mean I knew that it was going to be big from seeing pictures of it on the internet and in movies but I have no idea that it was going to be that big.  All of the roads on that side of the city were super tiny and windy so I felt like we were going to hit cars and street sign every time we took a turn.  The bus driver escorted us to a park where there was a breathtaking view of both the Sydney Harbor Bridge and the Sydney Opera House.

After out bus tour we went to the Iceburg Swim Club for a tour and lunch.  This swim club was on Bondi Beach which is a surfer’s paradise.  Off to one side of the club there is an ocean fed pool that people were swimming laps in even though the water temperature was in the high 50’s to low 60’s.  I had fish and chips for lunch and it was pretty darn good!  The president of the club came and talked to us about the history of the place and a little about himself.  Fun fact: he drank 298 beers at the swim club in one week.  That is pretty impressive so our group gave him a round of applause.  We then headed off to a boat tour of the Sydney Harbor.  I got some pretty awesome pictures of the bridge and opera house up close.  When we docked we were about to walk around for an hour and explore the area and buy souvenirs.  Dinner was paid for at our hotel (thanks Craig) and I ordered pizza.  Lucky for us, our dinner time was right in the middle of happy hour so we all got a few beers and socialized with others in our group and locals that came to have dinner at the bar.  Because we had all really started getting along with each other pretty well we decided to have a night out on the town at a place called Side Bar where a guy from Sydney told us that would be fun.  He was absolutely right!! Can’t wait for fun filled days in this beautiful city!  I don’t know if I ever will want to go back to the United States!

100_0674