Welcome to the Blackboard 9 upgrade project information page. We will continually update this page through the upgrade process with news, information and links.
What: ECU is upgrading its course management system to Bb9 in May of 2011. We have formed two groups to assist with these tasks. The first group is the Steering Committee. This group is assisting in shaping the training, documentation and the look and feel of Bb 9. The second group is the Pilot Group. We currently have 21 faculty with 38 sections ready to teach, starting in the Spring 2011 semester. This group has been trained. Support documentation has been created and provided to assist them using this new platform.
When: The Blackboard 9 pilot starts January 2011. Other significant Bb9 pilot dates are listed below.
- 5/2010 – 8/2010 Bb 9 server propped up and configured.
- 8/2010 Staging pilot group trained. Two faculty teaching three sections.
- 9/2010 Pilot group and Steering Committee formed. Both groups have met and have been trained in Bb9.
- 9/2010 ECU Instructional Technology Consultants training.
- 9/2010 Yammer group created for both the Pilot and Steering Group.
- 10/2010 Work was started on the Bb Faculty manual. The document was completed 12/01/2010. See the link below.
- 11/2010 Training videos created.
- 11/2010 Banner feeds have now created the Bb 2011 pilot courses; they are also populating them.
- 11/2010 Blackboard section collapse tool was, and is, still being tested.
- Faculty Manual Completed
- 12/2010 Working on skinning the inside of Bb9 along with the login page before the end of the semester.
- 12/2010 Working on getting all of the training dates on the books before we leave for break.
- 12/2010 Bb Mobile is not working. See all of the details here. The mobile version ONLY works for Bb9 right now.
- 1/10/2011 The pilot is now live.
- 1/11/2011 Sent out the first of our weekly emails about Bb9 across the ECU community. Click HERE to review a list of all of the email topics, videos and training dates available so far.
- 1/12/2011 Our first of many open to the public Bb9 training sessions (Austin 309) See the link above for more information.
- 3/1/2011 Mid term survey sent out to the pilot group. 3/15/2011 Survey closed
- 3/10/2011 Restore server is up and running
- 3/12/2011 testing the course collapse tool on the Bb8 and Bb9 restore systems.
- 3/15/2011 testing the course collapse tool on production Bb8
- 3/18/2011 All summer Bb sites released into the system
- 3/25/2011 All fall sites added into the system ( not enrollments)
- 4/5/2011 Working with the multimedia center on the login page and color schema of Bb9
- 4/10/2011 Working w/ Blackboard on a redbar error, login error and discussion grader error
- 4/25/2011 Propped up a new Bb9 server and all of the errors have gone away. So far we have logged in and out 240 times w/ different users and browsers
- 5/2/2011 Login page is about done and so is the skinning. Looking good
- 5/2/2011 Working on both the faculty and the student modules . Right now we have Bb Mobile Learn, Student Bookstore, Support and Training, Updates, New Features and Disability Support Services
- 5/10/2011 – Upgrade started.
- 5/11/2011 Upgrade should be done today. Once the upgrade is complete QA testing will begin.
- 5/13/2011 WE ARE ALIVE. Blackboard 9 is live !!!!!!!!!!!! After 18 months of work we are officially a Bb9 campus.
Why: Blackboard 9 offers new features what will enrich the experience for both faculty and students. Some of the new features include Blogs, Journals, Wikis, drag and drop and new Group Features. If you want a full list of the new features click THIS LINK to review and download the Bb9 faculty manual.
Where: The pilot server URL is http://bbdev.ecu.edu. All spring sites are loaded on this server, BUT you should not use these sites for teaching in any circumstance unless you are in the pilot. See the list of the pilot participants.
Questions: If you have any questions about Bb9 or the pilot, do not hesitate to call or email Matt Long at firstname.lastname@example.org / 252-328-9074 or Cindy Bowers at email@example.com 252-328-9167 .