Compatible Browsers (as of 4/9/2012): Blackboard 9 (service pack 7) is best viewed in Mozilla Firefox. Firefox is recommended for the Mac as well. Also, Google Chrome is now a certified browser. Reported and frequent problems with the use of IE: Students may not be able to download Word documents, view images, and they may experience issues with test taking and submission of tests. Instructors may have issues with the interface or functionality of tools and features (including the Grade Center) with Internet Explorer.
Click HERE to see a list of officially supported browser. This page is maintained by Blackboard.
See below for some known errors and work-arounds, which may affect your Blackboard course(s):
Chat/Collaboration Tools in Blackboard are not working properly: We are working with advanced support/Blackboard in D.C. This tool has been down since mid-March and we apologize for the delay and inconvenience. Please consider using another web conferencing tool as an alternative, such as Centra.
- Error messages when grading through the Blackboard Grade Center: If you are getting error messages when grading assessments through the Grade Center, it likely a browser issue. This behavior is consistent with Internet Explorer. Please switch to Firefox as your browser (the latest version is fine). Send an email to Blackboard Support with any questions at all.
- See the blog post about browser compatibility.
- Grade Center Scroll Bar is Missing in Firefox: See the PDF for simple instructions.
From the Office of East Carolina University’s IT Security, please read the following scenario and solution(s):
- Activity: Download Gradebook from Blackboard to a spreadsheet
- Issue: Student (Course) Gradebook is downloaded from Blackboard onto desktops, laptops, personal home computers, and other unencrypted devices. A lost or compromised device could result in unauthorized release of student records.
- Solution: Users should change the default location when downloading the gradebook to Excel or other formats. Select Save Target As or Save As and change the location to your personal or departmental Pirate Drive. To further minimize the threat of release of student records, delete downloaded course gradebook once the information is no longer needed.
The upload of protected health information (PHI) into BB is prohibited and is a violation of HIPAA Privacy and Security. Penalties for HIPAA violation may be significant. This is inclusive of any patient data e.g. MRI’s, X-rays, Videos of patients , research data containing PHI or any other data containing any identifiable patient information.
If you have any doubt, stop and contact the HIPAA Privacy Officer @ 252-744-5200. Visit the HIPAA website http://www.ecu.edu/hipaa/ for additional information.
Blackboard will be unavailable on Sunday morning for maintenance. This is a planned downtime for Sunday, April 1, 2012, from 7 a.m. until noon.