March 4, 2014
Hello Everyone -
We are hard at work getting ready for the May 12th 2014 upgrade to Bb SP15. The core features are still going to be in the same place and work the same way so no need to stress. The new features that will be in place are meant to enhance how you use Bb. We are excited about this upgrade and plan to make this as painless as possible. Take a look at some of the new features you will see after the May upgrade.
Upgrade downtime: 5/12 – 5/16
- New content editor
- Global navigation
- Updated discussion board tool
- New course calendar
- Updates to the Assignment tool with Inline Grading
- Grading Rubric Updates
- Group Management
- Date Management
- Social Learning Tools and Comparison of Web 2.0 Tools in Blackboard
- Updates to the assessment engine
- Item Analysis (see statistics on overall test performance, effectiveness of test questions)
N E W V I D E O S from the Blackboard Team:
(Our upgrade to Service Pack 15 includes feature updates/patches/bug fixes from service packs 10-15; do not let the SP numbers confuse you.)
Take a look at Allen’s Student Intro/Overview Video (3 min)
We are going to be offering training sessions on the new features. The sessions on the training calendar (“Blackboard New Features”) are March 18th, April 2nd, and April 30th. To sign up for one of these session please to go http://www.ecu.edu/cs-itcs/cornerstone/ . Then, do the following
- Sign into CORNERSTONE
- Click on the Learning tab at the top and choose Events Calendar
- Find the Bb New Features training by date (dates listed above)
- Click on the Request button (Cornerstone lingo for “enroll”)
***Another option is to simply type Blackboard in the search button (top right) and find the appropriate session.***
- What should I do to prep for the May 2014 upgrade ? Nothing unique. Set your course up as you normally would. All course content will migrate over during the upgrade process. Once the upgrade is complete, the new features will be available for you to use.
- Should I build/develop my site before the upgrade or wait? DON’T WAIT. Again, build your site in Blackboard like you normally would.
- What is the exact date of the May 2014 upgrade/downtime? May 12th. (Spring semester grades will be submitted by that date.) Bb will be down 2-3 days.
- What do I need to do to prepare for the upgrade? We suggest that you attend a group training, or at the very least review some of our web resources. (See information above about the training dates in Cornerstone.
- Will you be offering a demo or training within my unit on the new SP15 features? Yes. Please coordinate this training through your unit ITC.
- Who do I contact if I have any questions about the upgrade? Send a note to either Matt, Cindy, or Allen: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org