Student Tips / Need to Know
The URL for downloading Respondus LockDown Browser is here: use this download link. Students must download LockDown Browser to their local computer. It is an easy install of a file that is not very large. If you get a suggestion to re-download LDB, there is no need to do an uninstall first; simply download LDB and follow the instructions on the screen. On the PC, you will see the LockDown Browser icon on your desktop. For Mac users, you will find LDB in your “Applications.”
To take an exam in LDB (whether on your personal computer or in an ECU computer lab), you will log into Blackboard via LockDown Browser. Go to the content area where your exam is located and click “Begin.”
- The most common “error” for students: some students do not realize they need to enter Blackboard through LDB.
- Students should do a fresh install at the beginning of each semester. There is no need to un-install LDB. Just re-install LDB.
- LockDown Browser is installed on most campus lab computers.
- You will see a “Check for Updates” option when you are logged into LDB. It is a always a good idea to click the option, and accept any update offered.
Instructor Tips / Need to Know
A recommended best practice is to include the download link to Respondus LockDown Browser in your course, or at least in an announcement. Share this blog post with students, too, so they have support resources.
Remind students to contact the Help Desk or Blackboard Support if they have any issues or questions. If you would like a sample quiz added to your course to give students a trial of using LDB, contact Cindy Bowers.
- The most common “error” on the instructor’s side: Removing the LDB-created password under Test Options. Think of it as an invisible password, or the “lock” in LockDown Browser.
- Do not share the LDB-generated password with students. If you want them to have a password for your exam, you can do that from the LDB tool under the Control Panel > Course Tools > Respondus LockDown Browser.
- If any settings are changed (dates/times, number of attempts, any test settings at all), go back to the tool and look for a red “Fix It” error message. Control Panel > Course Tools > Respondus LockDown Browser. Simply click Fix It and the test will once again be available to students with the use of LDB.
- If you do not see Respondus LockDown Browser in your course tools, go to Control Panel > Customization > Tool Availability. Check the Box next to Respondus LockDown Browser to make it available in your tools.
- To get started using LDB for quizzes and exams, see instructions on our Blackboard Blog page for Faculty.
Support for LockDown Browser
Help Desk Phone 252-328-9866