One long-awaited instructor feature and one often-used tool are the topics of this post.
- A full and complete student view in your course, including a view of the gradebook, is now available. At last! Blackboard has a mini-video that we highly recommend watching. It’s a little over one minute in length, and it will provide a demo, plus give some hints. Please go here.
- SafeAssignment is now included under the Assignment Tool. When you click “Add Assignment,” you will have the option to choose a regular assignment or a SafeAssignment. The change is not huge, but you can learn more here.
- Anonymous Grading and Delegated Grading are also new features that may be of interest. If so, please go here.
Upon leaving full student view, this box will appear. Click this image to enlarge.
For those instructors who use SafeAssign, the following two things might be helpful.
- At the beginning of each semester, If you do course copies from one semester to the next, please perform a quick synchronization of your course to the SafeAssign global database: Control Panel > Course Tools > SafeAssign > SafeAssignments > click the yellow button “Synchronize this course.” See the screenshot below.
- If any of your students have an issue submitting a paper to your SafeAssign link, ask them to try again using Firefox as their browser. If that does not work, please have them submit a help ticket and we’ll do some troubleshooting.
Questions? Send an email to:
Matt Long, Cindy Bowers, or Allen Dennis
To ECU Faculty who use SafeAssign in Blackboard –
On April 8th some Blackboard customers submitted helpdesk tickets stating that the Safe Assignment tool was slow to check student submissions. I have done some local testing today (April 9th) and the tool seems to be working normally with speedy file checks. Keep in mind that Safe Assignment is a Blackboard hosted and managed tool so if submission checks do slow down we need to contact the vendor to see what can be done to fix this problem. At times in the past Safe Assignment has slowed down during midterm and finals because of the amount of files being submitted and checked by all of Bb customers. In recent semesters this has not been an issue.
Note: Once or twice during the semester, please check if you need to Synchronize SafeAssignment. It’s very quick: Control Panel > Course Tools > SafeAssign > SafeAssignments > if you see a yellow bar to the right of your screen that says Synchronize this Course, please do so. It simply synchronizes the papers in the course with the SafeAssign central database, ensuring the correct associations exist between the course and the central database. This is especially pertinent to courses that have been copied from semester to semester. SafeAssign is a building block added to Blackboard.
If you do notice any slowness this semester, please contact the ECU helpdesk ASAP at https://ecu.edu/9866 or call 252-328-9866 .
Safe Assignment Links: