Welcome, ECU Faculty
We hope you will bookmark this page as a repository or virtual file cabinet for instructions, news, helpful tips, etc. for your Blackboard needs and questions.
Can’t find something? See any dead links? Let us know: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Check out the new features from the Summer 2015 upgrade. A couple are mentioned below (SafeAssignment and Student View).
- Here is a checklist for things to do re: Summer Semester 2015.
- We offer Blackboard training sessions (look on Cornerstone).
- Jump to the complete tutorial list below.
One of our most common questions…
How do I make my course(s) course available/unavailable: Make Course Available or Unavailable
New to Blackboard @ ECU?
To do a system check to make sure your computer is compatible with Blackboard, please go here: System Compatibility Check
Here are a few PDF tutorials for instructors new to Blackboard, just to get started:
Browser Info: Reminder: Blackboard works best using Firefox as the browser (for Macs also); please remind your students. The gradebook is especially noticeable (slow, not working properly) if you are using IE instead of Firefox. Google Chrome also works very well with Blackboard.
SafeAssignment – updated feature as of 5/2015
Before our most recent upgrade, SafeAssignment was an assessment option in the list of assessments. Now, instructors just click Add Assessment > Assignment > in the assignment settings, you will now be given a choice of a traditional assignment or SafeAssignment.
SafeAssign is a product within Blackboard that can be used as an educational tool to help students identify and properly attribute sources. There are two ways instructors can use SafeAssign: (1) Create a SafeAssignment and (2) Direct Submit. When a student submits an assignment via SafeAssignment, it is compared to an Institutional Database (ECU) and the Global Reference Database (optional) in order to identify areas of overlap. In addition, SafeAssign provides a Direct Submit option for instructors. This feature allows an instructor to submit a student’s paper. We do not recommend using the Direct Submit option to “only add papers to the Institutional Search Database.” Direct Submit does require student consent. The recommendation, which maximizes the benefits of the tool for both instructors and students, is to use the SafeAssignment option. Here are a few of the benefits.
- SafeAssignment automatically creates a gradebook column and options for feedback to the student with an option to attach a document for student feedback.
- SafeAssignment organizes files submitted by user and assignment name.
- SafeAssignment has an option to download all student papers that were submitted as SafeAssignments (not including originality reports). That is done from the actual SafeAssign tool under Course Tools in the Control Panel.
Full Student View – NEW!! and long-awaited!
To learn more, please visit this site: Student View
LockDown Browser – A Tool for More Secure Test-Taking in Bb
For Summer, Fall, and Spring semesters:
- Don’t forget to make your course available at the beginning of each semester. From the Control Panel in your course(s), click Customization, then Properties, then to Set Availability Yes. (Click No to make your past course unavailable.)
- See the list of PDFs below if you are interested in copying course content from one semester to the next, or merging two sections. Section merge is popular for efficient management of two (or more) sections with the same content, just different students.
- Do you want your course sections merged? Instructions here.
- You can also customize your course by adding a banner. We’ve created some simple instructions: Create a Banner from a PPT Slide
We offer training sessions: Are you interested in our training sessions in Blackboard, Tegrity, Respondus, LockDown Browser, Yammer and/or iPad? Login to ECU’s Cornerstone to sign up for training sessions. For “virtual” training and instructions, please scroll down to see our list of videos.
Learn from our PDFs and Videos
Assignments & Tests
- Assignment Creation
- Assignments for Groups
- Assignments – Inline Grading
- Deploy a Test
- Inline Grading – Summary
- SafeAssign Basics for Instructor
- Test Creation (and Surveys)
- Test Settings – Tips
- Test Taking Tips for Students (you can add to your course)
- Test-Taking Issues from Students – Tips on Troubleshooting
- LockDown Browser for Online Tests
Interactive Assessments & Tools
Tools and Productivity
Best Practices, Good to Know, etc.
Links to Mini Videos and/or Instructions from Blackboard (this is a partial list; you will find other videos for tools and features from the following links)
- Groups Management
- Discussion Board
- Course Themes, Style, Adding a Banner
- Inline Grading
- Assignment Tool including Inline Grading (replaced Dropbox)
- Course Copy Info from Blackboard
- Watch this video to learn how to do your own course copies.
- Plus – Blackboard’s YouTube Channel for Instructional Videos
Blackboard’s “On Demand” Learning Center
- Blackboard/Blackboard Community Programs offers “The Blackboard innovative Teaching Series” on their website and this may be of interest to our instructors. There are training webinars for instructors who use Blackboard, free AND archived, with a variety of topics (e.g., best practices).
- Blackboard’s YouTube Channel with their mini-videos / GOOD RESOURCE
Blackboard Mobile Learn
Blackboard can now be accessed on your mobile device via the Blackboard Mobile Learn app. Blackboard Mobile Learn allows students and instructors to interact with Blackboard on their Android, Blackberry, iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad device. Click here to view videos of Blackboard Mobile Learn on your mobile device.
Blackboard Mobile Learn offers a wide variety of features for easy viewing of Blackboard content on mobile devices. Blackboard Mobile Best Practices.
- Create and view announcements.
- Create and view discussion board threads.
- Post comments on students’ blogs and journals.
- View tasks, class roster, and embedded media.
- Favorites allow you to see only certain Blackboard pages inside Blackboard Mobile Learn.
After downloading the Blackboard Mobile Learn app and running it for the first time, search for ” East Carolina University ” then select “East Carolina University” and enter your Pirate ID credentials.” Explore the functionality of this program.
Update: Blackboard Mobile Learn is now carrier agnostic! This means that all Apple, Android, and Blackberry devices can use Blackboard Mobile Learn over their carrier’s wireless data network. All wireless carrier’s are supported by this new feature.