As you prepare for the start of the semester, we have some helpful info about the Section Merge Tool, adding a TA to your course, FYI’s about Course Copy and Section Merge, and making your course available to students.
Did your Section Merge Tool option disappear? After some updates over the holiday break, we found that module reverted back to an optional, rather than permanent module. Simply choose “Add Module” from your Blackboard landing page. Then search for “Section Merge” on the left hand side of the page to add it back…
How to Add a TA (or User) to Your Course
Students are populated from feeds we get from Banner, so we’ll take care of adding students. Adds and drops are also managed when we update the enrollment feeds. Do you need to add a TA (or a Course Reviewer or another role) to your course? The two screenshots below show how that is done. Occasionally, it still does not work for instructors so please do not hesitate to ask one of us to add the user for you – we’re happy to do so.
If you know the exact user ID, you can add it to the Username whitebox area. If not, or you are not sure, click the Browse button as in the screenshot below.
Important Reminders When You Course Copy and/or Section Merge
- Course Copy –
- Try to do it once; avoid multiple course copies or repeating the process. Course copying in pieces can result in problems (duplicate content, gradebook issues such as orphan columns that cannot be removed). Contact us with questions or issues.
- Here’s an “ideal” course copy, if you want all content and assessments/assignments included: Select All. UN-check Announcements. Choose the second radio button for Discussion Board (if you use the DB). Submit. That’s it.
- P.S. Your destination course ID should end in 201630, meaning Spring of 2016.
- Section Merge –
- Your destination course ID should end in 201630, meaning Spring of 2016.
- If you found you merged the incorrect sections, do not choose Remove to make the change! It will remove/wipe out your course completely. Choose Modify, then dissociate or un-merge. Or, contact one of us and we’ll sure help.
Make Your Course Available to Students
We do not automatically turn your course on for students because you may want the course available one or two weeks before class starts, or you may want to wait until the first day of the semester. It’s the most common question we get from students pre-semester: “Why don’t I see my course in Blackboard?”
To make your course available, go to your course > Control Panel > Customization > Properties > SET AVAILABILITY > Make Course Available > Yes. And please go back to your Fall 2015 courses and choose No for availability.
Your Blackboard Team…
Matt Long firstname.lastname@example.org
Cindy Bowers email@example.com
Adam Brewer firstname.lastname@example.org