Fitness Tips and Recipes
Relax with some Yoga this summer!
Yoga has been practiced for more than 5,000 years, and multiple styles have been developed over time. Yoga focuses on holding stationary poses called asanas, and most styles include breathing techniques or meditation. Regularly practicing yoga has many physical and health benefits.
Physical benefits include:
- Increase in flexibility
- Improvement in muscle tone
- Improvement in strength
- Better overall posture
Health benefits include:
- Improves circulation
- Stress relief
- Lowers risk of heart disease
- Help battle depression
- Prevents back pain
- Aids in anti- aging
- Helps cancer patients regain well-being
- Decreases side effects of menopause
- Helps reduce respiratory related health problems
Yoga is a safe non-aerobic form of exercise, but repetitive stretching can cause strain to the body. Here is how to help reduce the risk of injury!
Yoga tips for beginners:
- Consult your health care provider before starting a yoga program
- Don’t try to learn yoga on your own, work with an experienced instructor
- Warm up properly, this reduces the chance of injury to muscles
- Know your limits and don’t over-do it
- Take it slow
- Wear appropriate attire
- Stay hydrated
- If you feel pain or discomfort, dizzy or overheated, just stop!
35 Calorie Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1 cup of almond milk (PureAlmond Unsweetened Silk Almond Milk recommended)
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp of a natural or artificial sweetener (stevia)
- 6 cups of ice
- 1/2 cup of table salt
- 1 large ZipLock bag
- 1 smaller ZipLock bag
1. Mix almond milk, vanilla extract, and sweetener together in bowl.
2. Pour the mixture into the smaller ZipLock bag. Seal completely and set aside.
3. Fill the larger ZipLock bag with the ice and add the salt to it.
4. Place the smaller bag with your almond milk, vanilla, and sweetener inside of the larger bag. Leave the smaller bag closed, the ice and salt are not supposed to get into the ice cream mixture.
5. Completely seal the larger bag and shake vigorously for 5-6 minutes until the contents of the small bag thicken and become frozen.
6. Place contents in bowl and enjoy!
Calories: 35 Total Fat: 3g Saturated: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 150mg Potassium: 60mg Carbs: 5g Dietary Fiber: 1g Sugars: 4g Protein: 1g