New York State of Mind

Every fall semester East Carolina University  College of Business sends a group of knowledgeable and driven students to New York City (accompanied by two professors, of course) to visit agencies and attend the Advertising Women of New York (AWNY) conference.

The students along with the professors were able to visit 3 agencies last Fall. They got to tour the agencies and ask questions directly to successful employees. They also were able to bounce off ideas and opinions about advertising, social media, marketing, design and many more.

While at the AWNY conference, the students were able to attend a range of seminars  hosted by successful people in the advertising industry. They gave tips on how to think like an advertiser, the different jobs found in an advertising agency and how to get yourself out there when looking for a job or internship in the field.

”My favorite part about the NYC trip is that you go with peers that turn into great friends and connections. The NYC trip inspired me to follow my dream and to never give up as well and taught me to see the potential in myself I did not know I had. I met great connections and made forever friends. I would not take it back for the world.” – Jacki Rae Evans (attended November 2012)

collage

“It’s easy to forget the energy and excitement of NYC when you’re in the Pirate Nation, but going back up there was the solidifying factor in my decision to make the move up to NYC after graduation. The relationships and connections formed on that trip have helped shape me in ways I could not even explain. I am so thankful to have been a part of this trip, especially with the people who went on it.” – Abegayle Neri (attended November 2012)

“The experience and learning from the AWNY conference, as well as the connections made touring advertising agencies is priceless. The experiences you have with the group you go to NYC is amazing, and builds lifelong friendships with students and faculty. The trip solidified my desire to continue to pursue advertising, and helped me find the area of advertising I am most interested in. I would absolutely recommend this trip to students interested in advertising. It will shape and mold you in ways a textbook can’t.” – Mike Doherty (attended November 2011/2012)

So, you’re probably thinking.. Do the students get any free time? Of course they do! While in NYC the students got to go off on their own (no professors!). The students had a blast visiting Macy’s, Times Square, the High line and just having fun together.

Overall, it is a GREAT and fun experience for students. It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity. You get the advantage being able to meet directly and personally with some of the worlds top advertising agency executives. You get real life opinions and tips on how to make it in any industry. It’s also a great way to experience the culture of NYC along with lifelong connections and friends.

If you are interested, please contact Dr. Tracy Tuten (tutent@ecu.edu). The application process starts early September :)

Share