Professors are Real People too?

Have you ever said “Do these teachers know about real life? How could they schedule all of this stuff for me to work on?” We might get to know our professors name, they may introduce themselves and give us a small bio, but at what level do you really get to know your teachers?

Our professors, like us have had unique experiences and different motivations that have taken them to where they are now. They’re people who want to pass on their passion of knowledge and self-determination to each student who’s willing to listen and interact.

Dr. William Rowe’s favorite memory was “Traveling with friends on unplanned road trips with no real idea of where we would stay or what we would do when we got to where we were going” And after speaking with the rest of the 10 professors that I contacted, I found they all have some adventures of their own.  Here are their answers (some may give you a good laugh!)

Joanna Robinson- Management Professor

1        

(Q) Who or what inspires you and why?

– (A)My children inspire me. They make me want to be a better person in every way:

1) Physically: to live a healthy life and take care of them.

2) Intellectually: so that I can teach them and bring   them up   as  intelligent  individuals.

3) Emotionally: so that I can show them the love that they show me

Dr. Cal Christian- Accounting Professor

2

(Q) If you could have only 3 electrical appliances in your house, what would they be and why?

-(A)Well the DVR has to be considered an appliance and would be the most critical as my wife has taped every episode of “Duck Dynasty” as it reminds her of home in Mississippi!!  Also, couldn’t live without the refrigerator and microwave!  Have to eat and eat quickly.

Dr. Christy Ashley- Marketing Professor

3

-(Q) What is the most rewarding experience you have had and what made it so?

-(A)That’s a tough one.  Work-wise, there have times when I’ve pushed myself to do more than I thought I could.  One of my volunteer jobs changed the way I looked at the world, which I valued so I guess that could be considered a reward.  I like hearing from the students after they graduate when something they learned about or learned to do helps them at work.

- (Q) If you knew today was your last day on Earth, how would you spend it and with who?

-(A) I’d spend it with Jay and [my daughter] Julianna – how doesn’t matter to me.  (But, knowing my husband ,my guess is we’d be on a boat.) [Husband can be found below!]

Dr. Jason Oliver- Marketing Professor

4

- (Q) What’s your worst and best memory of college?

(A) Worst:

I had a hand full of classes where the professors were unapproachable and really rude to the students.  I remember one class where the professor listed an assignment on the syllabus, never talked about it in class so there was some uncertainty about what was to be done.  Then he told everyone on the last day of class that he hadn’t received it from anyone and we would all get a “0” on the assignment.  That is one of many things that has severed as motivation of “what not to do” in terms of how I am as a professor.

(A) Best:

Achieving success in difficult classes is up there.  I remember taking a course that was labeled as the hardest in my major and I just immersed myself into it and got an “A”.  I also remember some of my better individual and group presentations.  The positive feedback from professors and other class members always made all of the hard work worth it.

Sharon Justice- Business Professor

5

- (Q) What is the most rewarding experience you have had and what made it so?

-(A) I’ve had wonderful opportunities and lots of experiences.  Other than wife and mother, the experience that really stands out is the week I spent in Belize in 2011 working with kids at a school on a short term mission team.   I can’t wait to go again this summer.

Dr. John Kros- Operations and Supply Chain Management Professor

6

-  (A) Best memory – All the great people I met and the stories/memories that came with them (3 Universities, 11 years, 3 fraternity houses…wow, a lot of people and stories)

- (A) Worst memory – Crappy faculty that I had

-(Q) If you could have only 3 electrical appliances in your house, what would they be and why?

-                    (A) Laptop – to check email for student’s questions…..all right, to watch movies and update College Football scores

Microwave – Nuff said

Fridge/Freezer – Gotta have a place to keep the stuff to put in the microwave

Dr. Aaron Gubin- Finance Professor

7

-(A)Last day on Earth? I suppose I’d like it to be a lovely day outside, perhaps late Spring when the Sun has  warmed just enough–that moment when it looks like Summer is about to beat Winter into submission. I’d like to spend that last day outdoors, working hard at getting to some obscure, isolated place, with the love of my life, whoever she may be.

-(A) I think I’d be doing a disservice to rank the moments in my life. I am. My past was and it’s over. I’ve certainly been very lucky to have a pretty diverse set of experiences with people and alone, professionally and personally. But all of those experiences, not unlike the history of past stock prices (from which we learn very little), aren’t nearly as important as where I am right now or where I am going in the future.

Jane Lang- Marketing Professor

8

- (A) Becoming a professor, being around students each day, taking a job here at ECU, living in Greenville, having my kids grow up around the University and ECU.

Dr. William Rowe- Marketing Professor (Not Pictured)

-(A) Worst memory: Showing up for an exam feeling unprepared, knowing I didn’t put forth my best effort.

-(A) Best memory: Traveling with friends on unplanned road trips with no real idea of where we would stay or what we would do when we got to where we were going.

Dr. Enping Mai – Marketing Professor (Not Pictured)

-(Q) Who or what inspires you and why?

-(A) Ang Lee, the Oscar-winning director, as for six years, he did not have a steady job after graduating from NYU in 1980s and his wife Lin insisted that he should carry on pursuing his dream.

Share