ECU College of Business: A Fine Institution

When I started my time here at East Carolina four years ago I was a much different person than I am now. I had a plentiful amount of ambition, but I lacked direction. I arrived on campus as a marketing major, but I had no experience in marketing or much of an idea of what I wanted to do as a career. I picked marketing because I understood it, and it seemed like a sound investment. I knew my odds of getting a job upon graduation would be much higher if I obtained a degree in business, but I had no idea that it would change my life forever.

I am surprised at how far I’ve come in four years and all the things that I have learned. None of it would have been possible without the ECU College of Business. The CoB really pushed me to be the best person that I could be. The College puts a profound emphasis on leadership and I think that is something that really helped me along my journey here at ECU. This constant emphasis on leadership forced me to step outside my comfort zone and step up into leadership roles. Honestly I was scared at first, but I knew that I had the support of so many wonderful peers and professors and that is what helped me succeed within my leadership roles.

ECU-COB_

My most prestigious leadership role was serving as the President of the professional business fraternity, Alpha Kappa Psi. I learned extraordinary lessons in leadership and management that I will carry with me my entire life.

The Leadership and Professional Development (LaPD) program is something that I think definitely deserves to be highlighted and recognized within the community of higher education. The program has taught me many valuable things that I am sure I will apply in future business endeavors. One of the most helpful things within this program was the professional etiquette dinner. I have been in professional situations since that required proper dining etiquette and I felt prepared and comfortable in that situation.

Also, the switch to the online ‘eWebfolio’ was a very good step in the right direction. This new set-up gives students the flexibility to design and generate content that is relevant to themselves and their desired industry. What is appropriate for an accounting major may not be appropriate for a marketing major, and this new change recognizes that. I’m excited to have a digital portfolio that I can show to potential employers, and I think it will increase my chances of landing a job upon graduation.

All in all, I am extremely proud to receive a degree from East Carolina University College of Business. Of course, I am not the only one that feels this way though. Fellow marketing student, Kailyn White, created this video that highlights several students perspectives about the College of Business. It was a pleasure helping out with this video and I hope you all enjoy!

http://bit.ly/Z2gjcy

Share