The “Real World”: Nothing to Freak Out About

May 11th. If you are a last semester senior than that is the date that is permanently ingrained in your mind. It is the culmination of four years of hard work and dedication. To me, it seems almost surreal. I cannot believe that four years have gone by so quick. It’s hard to even imagine the person I was four years ago; I feel like a completely different individual. My values and my entire outlook on life have changed. The things I’ve learned and experienced have prepared me for the next phase of my life. But like most graduates are thinking, what is the next step? What should I do? Of course, the obvious answer is find a job and enter the “real world”. This leads me to my next point…what is the “real world”?

The Real World

We don’t live in a science fiction novel, and as far as I can tell there are no alternate dimensions. So what is this “real world” that everyone speaks of? What is different from this collegiate environment I am currently in and this  so-called “real world? I have given this a lot of thought and the conclusion I have drawn is that the “real world” is a mindset. College teaches you the specific and technical things that can be applied to your career field, but it also teaches you how to look at things objectively. College teaches you how to divide a task up into specific parts, make a plan, and conquer it. College teaches you how to get things done, and that is an imperative skill for someone living in the “real world”. So, to enter the “real world” successfully one must have confidence in themselves  and a can-do attitude. East Carolina University College of Business has equipped me with this attitude and I am positive I will succeed.

Graduation is less than 3 weeks away and I don’t have a job lined up. I have submitted many applications and been through many interviews with no success, but I still remain confident. I know I have the right attitude to secure a job and I must simply be patient and work hard; and that’s really what the “real world” is all about. So if there are some of you out there that are freaking out about jumping into the “real world”, don’t worry. Just keep your chin up and keep grinding and you’ll be fine. The real world is nothing to freak out about.

Share