Summer Study Abroad Series: Search for the Caves

Blog by: Breanna Edmunds

Date of blog: June 11th, 2013Breanna Edmunds

The day started off on a bus ride to Lago di Garda. After a relaxing hour and a half, we reached the lake. A group of 18 of us took a boat tour along the beautiful lake. We were informed that the boat tour included taking us to the famous caves of Lake Garda. The water was blue as ever as we rode along the waves, and we were surrounded by the mountains all around us. The boat continued along the lake as we passed a beautiful building that looked like a castle when in fact it was just a home. People live there all year round and even allow tours through their home for 30 euros. This seemed odd to me considering this was their personal home but I guess so many people are willing to pay to see their home.

After we passed the home we started heading back to the dock. Once we arrived at the dock a group of us walked along the beach side on a search caves that we heard about. The water was beautiful and there were many ducks and swans having a leisurely swim on the beautiful day. We sBreanna Edmunds 2topped by a thermal which was along the walkway. A thermal is a specialty to Lake Garda in which it is a warm spot in the cold lake water. Many people go to these spots because this particular water is good for wellness. Lake Garda residents have made huge wellness center spa businesses out of these thermal spots throughout the city. The thermal was like a hot tub in the water. It was surrounded by rocks with a comfy place to sit in the middle. I proceeded to go into the water when I realized the water was close to boiling temperature. I was able to walk on the other side of the rocks being that it was not too hot and not too cold. It was an awesome experience and I wish I had my suit on so I could have laid in it.

After leaving the thermal spot the group I was with had found a botanical garden that we walked through trying to reach the caves. It was so green & fresh and many of the locals were laying in the Breanna Edmunds 3grass to tan on this hot day. We climbed this steep hill and got to the other side of the garden where we found a trail that would lead us to the caves. We walked down the trails for a little ways and came across a park. The park contained a museum, ruins, and what we had thought would be caves. The museum consisted of old artifacts from the Roman times. There were statue parts, utensils, plates, old architecture and more. I love historical things so I was starting to find this place rather exciting. As you walk out of the museum you see the ruins. The ruins were an old villa that appeared to be a vacation villa for the Romans during B.C. times. There were several rooms, hallways, and windows that overlooked the beautiful lake. This is the kind of vacation spot I would have liked to own.

We walked along the ocean view and ended up back at the entrance. At this point everyone was hungry so we decided to eat at a pizzeria. We left the restaurant and realized at this point we are probably never going to find these caves. It was disappointing but along the journey I had seen so many amazing things that I couldn’t even be upset. Now I know I’ll need to ask where the caves are on my next visit because hopefully one day I will make it back to Lago di Garda.

Share