Follow the Leaders: Why I Chose the ECU College of Business

Blog Author: Aaron Hall

When I first came to orientation, during the summer of 2009, I had finally decided what major I wanted to pursue. I confidently walked into the West End dining hall (where they hold the major specific information booths) and an ECU advisor asked me what I wanted to major in so she could lead me to one of the booths. I exclaimed, “Physical Therapy!” She replied, “That’s not an undergraduate major, why don’t we visit the undecided table?” And so began my semester-long trek of finding the perfect major.

Aaron HallAfter going through five different majors, I finally decided on pursuing a business degree over my first Christmas break. I had gone to work with a local small business owner and I got to see how he ran his successful business. All day I watched as he motivated and treated his employees with respect, how he conversed with customers, and how fun accounting actually is. I was blown away by how cool running a business was, but I had zero business experience. I didn’t know anything about finance, leadership, and customer service. What makes me think I could run or work for a business?

Luckily, I had a roommate that was in the College of Business and he explained how a business degree at East Carolina University works. The College had just created this new Leadership and Professional Development Program that focuses on building important skills that will make students more marketable and successful in the business world. They do this by starting you out at ground level with the basics of business. As a result, anyone could join in and not be hampered by the fact that they’ve never had any business experience.

Basically, the College of Business allows students to “come in as you are” and they will mold you into a leader and a professional.

Today I am a proud graduate of the ECU College of Business. Watch for my next posts as they share my experiences in the Leadership and Professional Development Program!

Share