Follow the Leaders: Kendell Harris

Blog Author: Kendell Harris

Whether you call it professionalism, charisma, or swagger, the knowledge students gain in the Leadership and Professional Development Program brings them a degree of confidence that they wouldn’t otherwise possess. Sure an accountant can crunch numbers, and a marketer can generate sales, however, the intangibles are what make professionals top performers in their field.

Kendell Harris

About myself: I grew up in Perquimans County (near Elizabeth City) as the youngest of six kids. To keep ourselves busy, my 2 brothers and I learned almost any sport (from golf to ping pong, basketball and football).  At any given day you can find me in the ECU gym playing a pickup game of basketball.

When I have free time I love to travel. Some of my favorite places I have been are South Africa, Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic. I hope to visit Europe for the first time next year.

My wife and I have learned American Sign Language (ASL) and joined a Sign Language Congregation for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. Interestingly, 4 years ago I didn’t know anyone who was deaf, and now I have deaf friends from all over NC.

My favorite class I have taken at ECU is Tax Research. As odd as that sounds, I always wondered how to use law instead of google to answer tax questions. After taking that class I feel prepared to start my career.

Over the next couple of weeks, I am hoping to use my experiences as a student, Graduate Assistant and beneficiary of the Leadership and Professional Development Program (LAPDP) to give real life and practical examples of how the LAPDP can help student’s careers.

Share