Leaving Australia

The Longest Day Ever

By Loren Butler

Today ended our two-week journey “Down Under.” It was a day of mixed feelings about leaving Australia. For me, I was extremely happy to be going home and sleeping in my own bed. I couldn’t wait. After about day seven, I was starting to feel a little homesick anyway. I woke up excited about leaving and packed my things. We checked out of the hotel and headed to brunch. It was the most beautiful day we had seen in Australia. The sun was shining and not a cloud in the sky. There was the perfect breeze so you didn’t get too hot. All of this made me a little sad considering we had rain 11 out of the 14 days we were there. After brunch, we had some time before heading to the airport. My roommate and I decided to walk along the water and enjoy the beautiful scenery of Cairns.

Once we were off to the airport, we knew it was going to be a long day of travelling, close to 30 hours of flying, layovers and travel. The first flight was the shortest of them all at two hours. We flew from Cairns back to Brisbane which we had been a few days before. We had a nice last Australian dinner in the airport then headed off to Los Angeles. This was the longest flight for our trip home at close to 13 hours. The flight was packed but luckily, I got a window seat. I was able to see Australia one last time from the sky. Once we landed in LA, I knew our journey was almost over. In almost 10 hours, I would be home with my puppy, who I had missed tons.

My trip to Australia was definitely an experience, some good and some bad. I have always wanted to travel to Australia and thought this would be a fun way to go and also to get credit for school as well. The weather was awful most of the time we were there but other than that I did enjoy it. I enjoyed most the Lone Pine Sanctuary where we got to hold a koala and also feed kangaroos. I also enjoyed Tjapukai, which is an Aboriginal park. At Tjapukai, we were able the throw boomerangs and spears, ride a Skyrail and train and also learn about the Aboriginal Culture. I think my favorite part of Australia was visiting the Australian Zoo and getting to see a Tasmanian Devil, which is probably one of the cutest things I have ever seen!!! This trip has been fun and a great learning experience, but I am definitely ready to be home.