Students in Vegas: A story not of luck, but hard work. By: Hannah Taylor

Dr. Glenn Hubbard with SOC students at BEA conference in Las Vegas

Third time’s a charm for East Carolina University journalism professor Glenn Hubbard.  Since 2016 he has been taking a group of School of Communication students to the annual Broadcast Education Association’s Festival of Media Arts in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The four day festival awards both students and faculty for their work in areas such as audio, news and non-fiction documentary. Each year Hubbard’s students have produced the festival and intro videos for the winners, but Hubbard said this year was their last.

“They (BEA) do three year terms, and I just finished the three year term, “ Hubbard said. “They have asked a faculty member, like me, to head it up and the perk is that you get your students involved and it gives them a good experience to work on the show.”

Hubbard said this year there were 18 winners at the festival and his students intro video topics  ranged from newscasts to documentaries. The students also produced the opening video for the festival and once they arrived in Vegas they helped produce the live show. “On show day we had a booth crew,” Hubbard said. “Someone running lights, sound, headsets, lots of crew things.” He said the students got to meet and work alongside crew members who produce shows like Celine Dion, but that wasn’t the only time the students got to network.

“The networking when they are out there is incredible,” Hubbard said. “In addition to the BEA Conference the association is a big organization itself, but it is also attached to the National Association of Broadcasters so every company you could ever imagine in broadcasting goes out there.” He said during their time there students got to attend multiple networking events, such as a career fair where one student gained a summer internship.

Before leaving for Vegas, Kathryn Dawson had interviewed with CBS News only to find out she would not receive a place in their New York internship program. When Hubbard told her that someone from CBS News would be in attendance at the career fair Dawson decided to take a gamble on speaking with them about an internship again, and she hit jackpot.

“I was like this is my last chance, so I went in there and introduced myself again,” Dawson said. She said after missing an interview question twice before she made sure she knew it in Vegas when she spoke to Katie Curico. She did and Curcio was impressed. “She stood up right there and offered me the internship,” Dawson said.

Dawson produced two videos for the festival. “One was for a student audio and it was a thrilled themed movie and he won an award for audio,” Dawson said. “The other one was about Cronkite News, that one won for best newscast.” She said her favorite thing about the festival was getting the internship and seeing all of their hard work pay off at the award show.

Kathryn Dawson story: https://www.dropbox.com/s/av9b2emf47gyps6/19%20News%20Student%20Newscast.mp4?dl=0

“My favorite thing about the trip was definitely the networking aspect,” Blair Berry said. “I learned a lot just by being emerged in such a professional atmosphere and it has definitely prepared me for when I get out and start working in the real world.”

Berry produced a video about Larry Foley’s documentary on Frank Broyles, the old football coach for the University of Arkansas. “He did a lot of things to help their football program and he recently died, so the documentary was based around that,” she said. “So my goal was to talk about why Larry did the documentary and what he was trying to accomplish with his story.”

Blair Berry story: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aoa0zzokyz7c4z3/17%20Sports%20Faculty.mp4?dl=0

Berry reached her goal and said after the show Foley came to her and told her he loved her video and was impressed by her work. Foley wasn’t the only one impressed that night though.  Hubbard was extremely proud of the hard work his students had put in.

“There was a great group this year and with this being my last year doing it, it was a great group to end with,” he said. “When I retire I’m going to look back at this like a career highlight and say… I did that and hopefully stay in touch with the students and say we did that.”

Show opener: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHcdlT_hdjU&feature=youtu.be