The YouTube Custom Element lets you easily insert a YouTube video into any CommonSpot page. An example of this can be seen at http://wwww.ecu.edu/cs-training/hallwa/youtube.cfm. To use the element, you will just need the URL of a YouTube video like this video of the new Trustees Fountain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3LVYTbg2H8&feature=player_embedded.
- Insert a YouTube Custom Element (listed under Custom Elements) on your page.
- Use the “Click here to define the custom element data” link to bring up the data dialog
- Paste the entire YouTube URL into the “YouTube URL” box.
- If you want a list of related videos to appear when your video is finished, check the “Include Related Videos” box.
- If you want a border to display around you video, check the “Include Border” box.
- Check the “Play in HD” if you want your video to play in high definition, if an HD version is available
- Check the “Use Purple Skin” if you want your video to use the official ECU purple for the border and control bar.
- Pick the size you would like the video to display in. The options are 320 pixels wide by 285 pixels high, 500×315, 580×360, and 660×405.
- Click Finish and the video will display on your page.
As a word of explanation, while in author mode, the video will display a small amount below where it will in read mode, because we shifted it down in author mode to see the element control. Also, the video not appear when you mouse over an authoring control anywhere on the page. This is normal and makes it easier to get to the advanced settings on the control.
As always, let me know if you have any suggestions or questions.