This blog is designed to promote J.Y. Joyner Library’s Cold War and Internal Security Collection by highlighting specific items from the collection and by discussing the broader historical context behind the collection and its documents. Future posts will focus on topics such as the following:
- Historically well known hearings and documents, such as Hiss v. Chambers, the Army-McCarthy hearings, the “Hollywood Ten”, etc.
- Documents concerning specific individuals, such as Linus Pauling, Paul Robeson, etc.
- Unique and interesting documents that provide insights into the nature of congressional countersubversion investigations.
- Documents discussing specific organizations, such as the Communist Party USA (CPUSA), Ku Klux Klan, Black Panthers, German-American Bund, etc.
- Documents on a specific topic: investigations of the motion picture industry, the “Brown Scare”, labor unions, the internment of Japanese-Americans, etc.
- North Carolina specific-topics: the “Silver Legion of America”, the CPUSA in North Carolina, the Klan in North Carolina, etc.
Each post will refer to relevant documents available in the CWIS Collection, as well as other topical materials available online or elsewhere in Joyner Library. For basic information about the CWIS Collection and how to use it, please see our CWIS LibGuide.
Please contact me with any questions or comments
Federal Documents & Social Sciences Librarian
J.Y. Joyner Library