By Jane Dail
Tuesday, October 30, 2012
The ECU Police Department this week expects to announce new developments and possibly release surveillance footage in the Oct. 21 Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium vandalism.
Lt. Chris Sutton said the department is planning to release information after Halloween unless there is breakthrough in the case before then.
The university announced last week that suspect William Banks, 18, no longer was enrolled as a student. Police continue work to identify two more people involved in the incident.
Police say three people climbed the stadium walls early on that Sunday morning, drove three utility vehicles onto the field and crashed the vehicles under the stands, causing about $35,000 in damage.
Investigators are reviewing surveillance footage from the stadium and dormitories. Sutton said he is hoping to release still images and video footage of the suspects.
“They are going to help us … so hopefully we’ll have some more information at the end of the week,” he said.
Banks was charged with breaking and entering, first-degree trespassing and multiple counts of injury to property in connection with the incident.
Sutton said additional charges against Banks are possible.
“If there’s any extra (charges), then that will probably come out when we get together later on in the week,” Sutton said.
The department has not had contact with Banks since last week, Sutton said.
“I’m not aware of any contact we’ve had with him since last Tuesday,” he said. “He came in and was interviewed and moved his stuff out of the dorm room.”
Anyone with information about the vandalism is asked to call ECU police at 328-6787.
Contact Jane Dail at firstname.lastname@example.org or 252-329-9585.
Add new comment
via The Daily Reflector.