Sep 262013


N.C. Central University criminal justice major Tayler McElroy takes a cell phone photo of the crime scene where campus police officers shot and killed a gunman, police said Tuesday. The crime scene is located at the corner of Lincoln and Cecil streets. CHUCK LIDDY — Read more here:

By Thomasi McDonald —

DURHAM — Tracy Daquan Bost was released from the Durham County jail the day before he was killed in a confrontation with campus police at N.C. Central University.

Bost, 22, had spent 143 days in the jail on charges of felony probation violation and assault on a government official. He was released at 11 a.m. Sunday, said Paul Sherwin, a spokesman with the Durham County Sheriff’s Office. When he was booked into the jail May 2, Bost gave officials an address of 165 Mahaley Ave. in Salisbury, a Rowan County government building.

Bost was booked into the same day that he was released from the Polk Correctional Institute in Butner, where he had spent one year and eight months for forgery and obtaining property by false pretenses, state records show.

“He’s been to prison five separate times since 2009,” state corrections spokesman Keith Acree said. “He had numerous infractions while in prison, mostly for assaulting staff.”

Bost’s troubled life ended Monday night, when NCCU police officers shot and killed him after they say he fired two shotgun blasts at them as they approached. Police were looking for him in connection with a burglary and armed robbery that had occurred earlier in the evening. Durham officials reported to NCCU police that a man matching his description was one of two suspects who had broken into a home near downtown.

The break-in occurred in the 1200 block of South Roxboro Street at 9:30 p.m., about an hour before Bost was killed. Among the items taken were a pair of Air Jordan sneakers, Timberland boots, $6 in cash and a .12 gauge shotgun, police reported.

Bost, who stood 6 feet 1 inch tall and weighed about 215 pounds, also matched the description of at least one of the people who had robbed someone Monday at gunpoint somewhere between downtown and the campus where he died.

NCCU Police Chief Timothy Bellamy said Durham police alerted his department about the burglary and armed robbery and provided a description of one of the suspects who reportedly had gotten off a DATA bus near campus.

Campus police ordered a lockdown because the man was thought to be armed. They found him about 10:15 p.m. near Cecil and Lincoln streets, between the university’s Criminal Justice Building and School of Education. Bellamy said police began talking to Bost, who drew a shotgun from the waist of his pants, chambered a round and fired toward the officers. The police fired back, according to the university, and the man ran into a wooded area.

A police dog tracked Bost to a stand of trees and heavy shrubbery on the grounds of the School of Education. The officers again demanded he surrender. Bost fired again, and police shot him, the university said.

The series of events took less than 10 minutes, Bellamy said.

Bost’s brief life also included convictions for stolen firearms while he was still in his teens. He was 17 in 2008 when convicted in Rowan County of four felony counts of larceny of a firearm, state records show. He was convicted also of possession of a firearm by a felon and served nearly a year in prison, state records show.

Bost was scheduled to be released from parole in January. The conditions of his parole included high-risk supervision, drug and alcohol treatment, counseling and a curfew. He was also ordered to stay away from places that sold or served alcohol, state records show.

Bost’s family could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

The three NCCU police officers involved in the shooting have been put on administrative leave, and the investigation has been turned over to the State Bureau of Investigation. Both steps are standard for any agency that has an officer-involved shooting.

Bellamy was asked Tuesday whether he was relieved that the volatile incident had ended without more loss of life.

“I don’t know if I’m relieved,” he said. “I know that one family is sick, and I’m concerned for my officers. Some officers are able to come back from something like this, but others never get over it.”


McDonald: 919-829-4533



Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.