Young Writers Summer Camps Offered at ECU
This summer the Tar River Writing Project at East Carolina University will sponsor several camps for young writers in Pitt County and the surrounding area.
Young writers at all ability levels are invited to experience a fun and creative writing community this summer. Each camp offers the chance to develop writing and digital literacy skills and to build a writing community with other writers from across the county. Students from public, private, and home school environments may find an engaging and instructive experience with writing.
Camps currently offered include:
- “Subscribe to Writing” (rising 4th– 6th graders): June 25 – 30, 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- “Subscribe to Writing” (rising 6th – 9th graders): July 9 – 14, 8:30 a.m.– 12:30 p.m.
- “Where We’re From” (rising 6th – 9th graders): June 25 – 29, Mon-Thu 12:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.; Fri 12:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
- “Geo-Tagging: Digital Expression Is Not a Crime” (rising 9th– 12th graders): Mon-Fri, June 18 – 29, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 noon
- “Write Here! Write Now!” (rising 9th – 12th graders): June 13 – 22, 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- “Wilderness Writing” (rising 9th – 12th graders): July 23- Aug. 3, Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. with one overnight trip each week
Space is limited for all camps. For detailed descriptions and to apply for a camp, visit the Tar River Writing Project website at http://www.trwp.org/ywc2012/.
Each applicant will be required to submit the following information: student name, grade level, address, parent information, T-shirt size, proof of health insurance, recommendation from a teacher or family friend, and a writing sample.
Applications are preferred by April 1, but participants will be considered until each camp is full. At the time of application, a $25 non-refundable application fee is due.
Parents who apply by April 1 will be notified by April 15 if the child was accepted. Full payment is due by June 1. Registration fees include instruction and supplies for the duration of the camp and a commemorative T-shirt.
For additional information, contact Dr. Will Banks at (252) 328-6674 or at email@example.com.