Description: Tavern of the Seas: The Maritime and Urban Heritage of Pre- and
Post-Apartheid Cape Town, South Africa
Program Dates: June 12 to 25
Includes: All meals, local transportation and fees for activities.
Does not include: Airfare and personal gift expenses
Accessibility: The itinerary includes hiking steep mountains, walking on beaches and in game parks sometimes more than 5 miles a day. Students have options to take cable cars up the mountains and game drives in vehicles instead of walking. There are alternatives to shark cage diving and lion walks, such as museum visits.
Accommodation: Beach houses in national parks and back packer lodges. Students will share rooms with one other of the same gender.
- Visiting schools and local Cape Town communities to participate in cultural activities with students and community members
- Tour of South African Parliament
- Archaeological work on beach shipwrecks and WWII fortifications in National Parks
- Visiting museums and other national heritage sites like Robben Island and Nelson Mandela’s prison cell
- Vineyard and wine farm tour
- Learning about history of tourism and participate in :
- Fishing culture of small towns
- Game farm tours in vehicles or on horseback
- Climbing 3000 foot high Table Mountain
- Sand dune surfing
- Diving with seals