Buddhist Holy Land in India and Nepal

Faculty Information

Faculty Name: Derek Maher

Department: Religious Studies

Contact Information: maherd@ecu.edu; 328-5332

Research Description

Highlights of Research: 

I am at the beginning stages of a 5-7 year research project that will document the Buddhist Holy Land in India and Nepal. I will collaborate with Honors students and others with disciplinary expertise in relevant areas to do field research. So this project will form the core of my own research agenda and it will provide opportunities for student researchers to learn how to do advanced research in the emerging field of the digital humanities.

At present, I need one or two research assistants to help me prepare research materials for the student researchers I will be teaching starting in the spring. The research position would run from now until May. There would be library research, internet research, and office work.

Qualifications

Class or level of student sought: Any mature student interested in becoming a good researcher

Needed skills: Basic facility with computers; I can teach research skills.

Preferences: I would prefer a student who would want to participate in the spring course and the study abroad program I will be teaching.

http://www.ecu.edu/cs-cas/religionprogram/india-abroad.cfm

Time Commitment 

Time commitment per week: flexible; greater time would yield greater learning for the student

Start Date: asap

Compensation
Students have the opportunity to receive Independent Study course credit through this opportunity.

This could easily turn into an Honors thesis for a motivated student.

There would be the possibility of the student publishing some authored or co-authored work from this.