Tuesday, February 21st 2012
Joyner Library, 5pm
Languages at ECU and languages in the world
- 5.00 pm: Presentation by Dr. Ricard Viñas-de-Puig (ECU): “Linguistic diversity starts here: The languages of ECU”.
- 5.30 pm: “Languages lost and found”. A documentary by Iris Brooks and Jon H. Davis. Event co-sponsored by Downtown Dialogues on the Humanities and supported by Academic Affairs and Research and Graduate Studies.
embedded by Embedded Video
- 6.15 pm: Q&A session on linguistic diversity and language endangerment.
- 7.00 pm: Refreshments provided by Joyner Library.
Thursday, February 23rd 2012
Bate 1032, 5pm
Languages of North Carolina
- 5.00 pm: Introduction: Mother languages of North Carolina
- 5.10 pm: Talk by Dr. Joseph Hill (UNC – Greensboro): “New Millennium, Old Threats: ASL Under Pressure”.
- 5.40 pm: Talk by Tom Belt, Dr. Hartwell Francis (Western Carolina University): “Digital Resource Development: Promulgating Mother Languages in the 21st Century”.
- 6.10 pm: Open discussion with Dr. Joseph Hill, Tom Belt, and Dr. Hartwell Francis: “Speakers’ rights and under-recognized languages”.
- 7.00 pm: Refreshments