Do you want to hear the languages spoken at ECU?
Click on the language name or scroll down to see a sample video of some of the languages spoken at the ECU campus.
Yoruba – Afrikaans – Portuguese – French – Lubukusu – Taiwanese – Hungarian – Slovenian – Turkish – Tagalog – Thai – Ukrainian – Korean – Hmong - German – Hangzhou – Bosnian – Silesian – Polish – Amharic - Tamil – Lingala – Swedish – Tigrinya – Persian – Patois – Gujarati – Russian – Papiamento – Spanish – Mandarin – Henan – Vietnamese – Twi – Swahili – Hausa – Krio – Arabic – Nepali – Punjabi – Japanese – Catalan – English
- Yoruba ~ [joɾuba] ~ Yoruba
- Yoruba is one of the official languages of Nigeria. This Niger-Congo language is spoken by around 20 million speakers, mostly in Nigeria in neighboring countries, but there are also significant pockets of Yoruba speakers in the UK and the US, among other countries.
[youtube Uz4hQkES2EM&rel=0 nolink]
- Afrikaans ~ [ɐfriˈkɑːns] ~ Afrikaans
- Afrikaans is a West Germanic language (closely related to Dutch) spoken in South Africa. With about 5 million speakers, it is the third language of South Africa in terms of number of speakers. Also, Afrikaans is one of the 11 official languages of South Africa.
[youtube pbbg28y0oME&rel=0 nolink]
- Português ~ [poχtuˈɡes] ~ Portuguese
- Portuguese is a Romance language spoken in Brazil, as well as in its original Portugal and many other countries in the world, from Asia to Africa. This Romance language is used by over 1650 million speakers worldwide; it is estimated that more than half a million people use Portuguese as their primary language in the US.
[youtube ytOXKIglxUg nolink]
- Français ~ [fʁɑ̃sɛ] ~ French
- As it is widely known, French is the official language of France, as well as Switzerland, Belgium, Monaco, Quebec, and other regions around the world. This Romance language is spoken by more than 53 million people in France, for a total of close to 68 million worldwide. It is estimated that in the US there are 1.7 million people who have French as their first language.
[youtube x3lY7TaTtQ4&rel=0 nolink]
- Lubukusu ~ [lubukusu̥] ~ Bukusu
- Lubukusu, also known as Bukusu, is one of the regional languages spoken in Kenya. Although the total number of speakers is unknown, this language holds prestige among its speakers. However, most of the users of Lubukusu also speak Swahili and English.
[youtube zrhrCvYjwfQ&rel=0 nolink]
- 台語 ~ [tai.gí] ~ Taiwanese (Hokkein)
- Taiwanese (Hokkein) is the majority language spoken in Taiwan. However, this Min Nan variety is not the official language of Taiwan. According to different estimates, the Hokkein variety used in Taiwan is spoken by some 15 million people.
[youtube Gu9QbXT0PoA&rel=0 nolink]
- Magyar ~ [ˈmɒɟɒr] ~ Hungarian
- Hungarian is an Uralic language, belonging to the Ugric group, and it is the official language of Hungary. Hungarian is spoken by some 10 million people in Hungary, and close to 12 million worldwide. It is estimate that there are abour 120,000 speakers of Hungarian in the US.
[youtube iKybd6rY9Fg&rel=0 nolink]
- Slovenski jezik ~ [sloˈʋenski] ~ Slovenian
- Slovenian, or Slovene, is a South Slavic language which, along with Italian and Hungarian as minority languages, is the official language of Slovenia. This language is spoken by about 2 million people, the majority of whom in Slovenia, but also in Austria, Italy, Hungary, and the US.
[youtube qVLTwf25ez4&rel=0 nolink]
- Türkçe ~ [ˈtyɾct͡ʃɛ] ~ Turkish
- Turkish is an Altaic language and the official language of Turkey. It is spoken by more than 50 million people around the world, mostly in Turkey. However, significant groups of Turkish speakers are found in Germany, Russia, or the United Arab Emirates. In the US, it is estimated that more than 70,000 people speak Turkish as their primary language.
[youtube xuNWqxUYb5o&rel=0 nolink]
- Tagalog ~ [təˈɡɑːlɒɡ] ~ Tagalog, Filipino
- Tagalog (also known as Filipino) is, along with English, the official language of the Philippines. This Austronesian language is spoken by about 24 million people around the world, mostly in the Philippines and neighboring areas. However, more than 1.2 million Tagalog speakers are found in the US.
[youtube xU_4IgDUMEo&rel=0 nolink]
- ภาษาไทย ~ [pʰāːsǎːtʰāj] ~ Thai
- Thai, a Tai-Kadai language, is the official language of Thailand. This language, spoken by more than 60 million, is the language of the Thai people. In the US, this language is spoken by more than 120,000 people.
[youtube 23DCabbNQB8&rel=0 nolink]
- украї́нська ~ [ukrɑˈjɪnʲsʲkɑ] ~ Ukrainian
- Ukrainian is an East Slavic language and the official language of Ukraine. This language, closely related to Russian, is spoken by more than 35 million people worldwide. More than 120,000 speakers are found in the US.
[youtube 3ZVReKYemzE&rel=0 nolink]
- 한국말 ~ [haːnguŋmal] ~ Korean
- Korean is the official language of both South and North Korea, and one of the official language of the region of Yanbian, in China. This language isolate is spoken by more than 65 million people, with significant groups in different countries, including the US (where it is spoken by about 900,000 people) .
[youtube dqYmdf7gK9o&rel=0 nolink]
- Hmong ~ [mɔ̃ŋ] ~ Hmong, Mong
- Hmong, or Mong, is a macrolanguage which includes several varieties belonging to the Hmong-Mien linguistic group. Although most of the speakers are concentrated in parts of China, Laos, Vietnam, and Thailand, there are significant groups of speakers around the world. Some these speakers are found in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and even in Hickory, North Carolina.
[youtube jbGLn-GXJ5E&rel=0 nolink]
[youtube e4d9tif-NWM&rel=0 nolink]
- Deutsch ~ [ˈdɔʏtʃ] ~ German
- German is a West Germanic language and, thus, related to English and Dutch. Although most of its close to 90 million speakers are concentrated in central Europe, there are many groups of German speakers found all over the world, form Kazakhstan to Argentina, and the US.
[youtube 8ZjJBjExS8w&rel=0 nolink]
- 杭州话 ~ [han.tsei.wu] ~ Hangzhou (Chinese)
- Hangzhou is the Chinese variety, belonging to the Wu group of the Sino-Tibetan language family, spoken in the city of Hagnzhou and its immediate suburbs. It is estimated that this variety is spoken by around 1.5 million people.
[youtube oD_T72UrRtk&rel=0 nolink]
- Bosanski ~ [bɔ̌sanskiː] ~ Bosnian
- Bosnian is a South Slavic language very closely related to Serbian and Croatian and along with which is the official language of Bosnia and Herzegovina. This language is spoken by over 2 million people mostly located in the Bosnia and Herzegovina, but also in Croatia, Montenegro, and Serbia.
[youtube cFUoFQErDtM&rel=0 nolink]
- gwara śląska ~ [gwaɾa.ʃlans.ka] ~ Silesian dialect
- Silesian is a Slavic variety, which belongs to the Lechitic linguistic group and is considered either a dialect of Polish or a separate language of its own. According to different estimates, the number of speakers (some found in Poland, some found in Czech Republic) is between 60,000 and below 200,000.
[youtube YpcdhOGFIY4&rel=0 nolink]
- Polski ~ [pɔls.ki] ~ Polish
- Polish, the official language of Poland, is spoken by around 40 million people worldwide. Although the great majority of the speakers is found in Poland, there are significant groups of Polish speakers in Northern and Eastern Europe, the United Arab Emirates, Canada, and the US.
[youtube ThHbutd9ev0&rel=0 nolink]
- ኣማርኛ ~ [a.ma.rəɲ.ɲa] ~ Amharic
- Amharic is a Semitic language and one of the official languages of Ethiopia, along with English and Tigrinya. The vast majority of the more than 17 million speakers of Amharic is found in Ethiopia, although significant groups of Amharic speakers can also be found in Eritrea, Djibouti, Egypt, Israel, Sweden, and the US.
[youtube E49qRFu1cK8&rel=0 nolink]
- தமிழ் ~[t̪ɐ.mɨɻ] ~ Tamil
- Tamil is a Dravidian language spoken India and one of the official languages in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. Tamil is spoken natively by more than 65 million people, mostly found in India but also spread in different countries: Bahrain, Canada, Germany, Malaysia, to name a few. In the US, Tamil is spoken by more than 80,000 people.
[youtube R4lVG74EMQM&rel=0 nolink]
- Lingala ~ [liŋ.ɡa.la] ~ Lingala
- Lingala, or Ngala, a Bantu language of the Niger-Congo family, is one of the official languages of Congo. There are about 90,000 speakers of Lingala worldwide, most of them located in Congo. A significant influence from the colonizing language (French) is observed in many speakers of Lingala.
[youtube fdGrPyqxeFA&rel=0 nolink]
- Svenska ~ [ˈsvɛ̂nskâ] ~ Swedish
- Swedish is the official language of Sweden and it is spoken by over 8 million people worldwide. This East Scandinavian language, belonging to the Germanic branch of the Indo-European linguistic macrofamily, is also spoken in other Scandinavian countries; significant numbers of speakers of Swedish are also found in Canada and the US.
[youtube 8hIlmi7e-PU&rel=0 nolink]
- ትግርኛ ~ [tʼi.ɡɾi.ɲa] ~ Tigrinya
- Tigrinya is one of the official languages of Eritrea, along with English and Arabic. This Semitic language is also spoken in Ethiopia and Djibouti, for a total number of speakers close to 6 million. Significant pockets of Tigrinya speakers are also found in Canada, Israel, and Germany.
[youtube Z0O7BV41M-s=rel=0 nolink]
- فارسی ~ [fɒːɾˈsiː] ~ Persian
- Persian, or Western Farsi, is the official language of Iran. This Indo-Iranian language is spoken by over 22 million speakers in Iran, but it is also spoken natively in different countries of Asia, Europe, as well as in the US.
[youtube 00Xk9YdCoIg&rel=0 nolink]
- Patois, Patwa ~ [pa.twa] ~ Patois, Saint Lucian Creole
- Although English is the official language of Saint Lucia, Patois (or Patwa, or Kwéy´òl) is the native language of most of the population, with around 160,000 speakers. Interestingly, there are more speakers of this Creole language outside of Saint Lucia than in the language’s homeland, with around 200,000 speakers spread worldwide, mainly in other countries of the Caribbean Basin and in France.
[youtube xVgiBWEg-gE&rel=0 nolink]
- ગુજરાતી ~ [ɡudʒˈɾat̪i] ~ Gujarati
- Gujarati, an Indo-Aryan language of the Indo-European linguistic macrofamily, is the official language of the state of Gujarat, in India. It is spoken by some 45 million speakers in India, although a significant presence of the language is also noted in Pakistan, Singapore, parts of Africa, the UK, and the US.
[youtube E7q5pXPhZ9k&rel=0 nolink]
- русский ~ [ˈruskʲɪj] ~ Russian
- Russian is a Slavic language and it is the official language of the Russian Federation. With over 140 million speakers worldwide, it is one of the most widely spoken languages in the world. There is significant number of Russian speaker in the US, with over 700,000 people having it as one of their primary languages.
[youtube EL-C-wODsqY&rel=0 nolink]
- Papiamento ~ [pa.pja.mɛn.tu] ~ Papiamento
- Papiamento, or Papiamentu, is an official language of Aruba, an island in the Caribbean Sea, and is spoken by some 60,000 people. Papiamento is considered a creole language, with a Spanish and Dutch influence.
[youtube atYpvMSO2kE&rel=0 nolink]
- Español ~ [es.pa.ɲol] ~ Spanish
- Spanish is one of the most widely spoken languages worldwide, with over 330 million speakers. This Romance language is spoken in Europe, the Americas, Asia, and Africa; the US is home now of some 30 million native speakers of Spanish.
[youtube 8UrEcwKdcIQ&rel=0 nolink]
- 中文 ~ [tsoŋ.wan] ~ Mandarin (Chinese)
- Mandarin is the most widely spoken of the Chinese varieties, with 850 million speakers (which makes it, as it is widely known, one of the languages with the largest number of speakers worldwide). Most of Mandarin speakers speak this language natively, although some use Mandarin as a second language.
[youtube p66KSjTbAyU&rel=0 nolink]
- 河南话 ~ [xə.nan.xwa] ~ Henan (Chinese)
- Henan is one of the many linguistic varieties spoken in China. This variety, which is mostly circumscribed in the Henan Province is the mother language of some 15 million speakers.
[youtube wQEsKd7_S6U&rel=0 nolink]
- Tiếng Việt ~ [tiə̌ŋ viə̀ˀt] ~ Vietnamese
- Vietnamese is the national and official language of Vietnam, where it is spoken by more than 65 million people. Although it shares some features with some Sino-Tibetan languages (such as Mandarin Chinese), Vietnamese belongs to the Mon-Khmer family of Austro-Asiatic languages.
[youtube hpqmvj_dpms&rel=0 nolink]
- Twi ~ [tɕɥi] ~ Twi
- Twi, also known by some as Akan or Fante, is one of the Kwa languages spoken in Ghana. The estimates for the number of speakers of Twi varies between 2.8 million and 3.5 million.
[youtube r_76_4loBdA&rel=0 nolink]
- Swahili ~ [swa.hi.li] ~ Swahili
- Swahili is a language of the Niger-Congo family spoken in Tanzania by some 350,000 people, most of which are monolinguals. This language is also spoken in other countries of the region, making it the mother language of over 3/4 million speakers.
[youtube B-mpuY-o5gM&rel=0 nolink]
- Hausa, هَوْسَ ~ [haw.sa] ~ Hausa
- Hausa is one of the official languages of Nigeria, where it is spoken by some 19 million speakers. However, there are around 25 millions speakers of Hausa worldwide.
[youtube zOmMedqQrUU&rel=0 nolink]
- Krio ~ [kɾi.o] ~ Krio, Sierra Leone Creole
- Krio, an English-based creole spoken in Sierra Leone, is the mother language of over 470,000 people in Sierra Leone. Although it may have some interintelligibility with some of the other creoles spoken in the Atlantic basin, it is a language on its own right.
[youtube hhD64Nodk7s&rel=0 nolink]
- العربية ~ [æl.ʕɑ.rɑˈ.bij.jɐ] ~ Arabic
- Arabic is a macrolanguage, with several different varieties, and which is spoken by over 220 million people worldwide. More than 3 million people speak Arabic in the United States.
[youtube pdxpgC6TD20&rel=0 nolink]
[youtube 63TJ3FGHzzo&rel=0 nolink]
- नेपाली ~ [ne.pa.li] ~ Nepali
- Nepali, or Nepalese, is the mother language of almost 14 million people and is the national language of Nepal (as shown in the map). It is estimated that there are over 10,000 speakers of Nepali in the United States.
[youtube kgZZKsSez9Y&rel=0 nolink]
- ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ~ [pən.ʒa.bi] ~ Punjabi
- There are over 28 million speakers of (Eastern) Punjabi (or Panjabi), which is spoken mostly in India (map). The language is also spoken outside of India, including the United States, with more than 140,000 speakers.
[youtube JjkGoXJQRgw&rel=0 nolink]
- 日本語 ~ [ni.hoŋ.ɡo] ~ Japanese
- Japanese is the mother language of over 120 million people in Japan and in other countries around the world, including the United Stated. It is the sole member of the Japonic language family. Map.
[youtube jl7sGq_ojLI&rel=0 nolink]
- Català ~ [kə.tə.la] ~ Catalan
Catalan, a Romance language, is the mother language of 6 million people in Catalunya, València, and Illes Balears (Spain), in SE France and at the town of l’Alguer in Sardinia (Italy). Map.
[youtube JljXphPRVnQ&rel=0 nolink]
- English ~ [ˈɪŋɡlɪʃ] ~ English
English is a Western Germanic language is spoken as a mother tongue by over 370 million people worldwide (and many more use it as a second or third language), making it one of the most widely used languages. It is the official languages of many countries, although it is not the federal official language of the US. Due to its presence all over the world, English presents a significant number of different dialects.
[youtube rHvriUvd8I4&rel=o nolink]