IRCC Meeting Minutes
February 22, 2012
Karl Abrahamson, Dana Brooks, Wendy Creasey, Michael Dixon, Karl Faser, Steven Forehand, Donna McDonald, Marshall Prentice, Rich Ramirez, Len Rhodes, Joel Sweatte, Don Sweet, Bill Wittman
Minutes: (Wendy Creasey)
January minutes were approved as submitted.
CIO Update: (Don Sweet)
Don provided an update on the following IT projects:
- Implemented Oracle Exadata Database Machine in January 2012. Student data loads can be performed in 10 hours with Exadata as opposed to 65 hours previously amounting to an 85% improvement rating.
- Currently adding imaging capabilities to the Travel Request system so documents can be reviewed prior to approving the travel request. Approximate target for completion in mid-April.
- Under-graduate admissions application is being made available through the ECU website. Previously it was only available through cfnc.org
- Student roster with photos will be available soon. Photos are downloaded from the One-Card system into a data warehouse from which applications can be written to link the student photo to the course roster.
- Kronos (automated time keeping system) went live March 1 with 377 employees participating in the pilot. Kronos is primarily managed by HR.
Pirate Port: (Steven Forehand)
PiratePort replaces the current One-Stop portal. A beta release is scheduled for current students in August 2012. It will be available for all others by 2013. ECU One-Stop will reach end of life by 2014. See objectives below:
Pirate Port Objectives
- Modernize the look and feel of the current Onestop portal (last upgrade was 10 years ago)
- Integrate mobile applications (cell phone, tablets)
- More widget based. (less text and more graphics)
- PiratePort accounts will be available for perspective students as well as existing students
- Students will be able to customize page with their personal items of interest
Photo Roster Demo: (Marshall Prentice)
ITCS will retrieve student photos from the One-Card office and store them on servers. The photos can then be recalled and added to course rosters allowing professors to view photos of their students. Photos are pulled and linked through the students Banner ID. Photo Roster is currently in test mode to resolve any performance and/or security issues. Secure photos are flagged and never pulled from the One-Card server.
Security Update: (Wendy Creasey)
A HIPPA audit is underway that will initially target three main areas. The first level will include Centricity and Pharmacy. The second will target the Heart Center, Infectious Diseases and Plastic Surgery. The third will include various other systems that manage secure data. ECU internal auditors conduct yearly audits on a set schedule.
The state is conducting an external financial audit that will include Banner, TouchNet, SyQuest and HealthSpan. Detailed questionnaires will be completed and submitted to auditors by March 9.
ISO Security Framework is on track and progressing well. A Gap Analysis is being prepared to document variations between the framework and what the university currently has in place.
A working group has been established to review the processes associated with IRB ePirate submissions. They are working on solutions to improve that area.
Margaret Umphrey will provide an update on the Cloud Computing Regulation at the next meeting.
- Wendy will offer feedback on BlackBoard Collaborate at an upcoming meeting.
- IT surveys are almost complete. Wendy will submit survey feedback as soon as it becomes available.
- Tom Lamb’s group will provide an update on how to safely remote into our network at an upcoming meeting.