IRCC Meeting Minutes
March 28, 2012
Karl Abrahamson, George Bailey, Dana Brooks, May Chang, Wendy Creasey, Ray Drake, Karl Faser, Steven Forehand, Tom Lamb, Donna McDonald, Belinda Perkinson, Marshall Prentice, Rich Ramirez, Clayton Sessoms, Joel Sweatte, Don Sweet, Rob Tenney, Margaret Umphrey, Bill Wittman, Biwu Yang
Minutes: (Wendy Creasey)
February minutes were approved as submitted. They will be placed on the IRCC webpage for review.
Web Services, Campus Maps, ECU Mobile Apps: (Jo lynne Daughtry)
ECU webpages receive approximately 75 million hits per year; 42% to homepage and 15% to second level pages. In lieu of this, those pages will be moved to a self-contained stand-alone server to improve performance for the main pages as well as CommonSpot.
A gallery of themes for CommonSpot were created to offer users a wider format for their pages and the ability to make flexible changes. Themes can be viewed at http://author.ecu.edu/cs-training/gallery to see what themes are available and how they might work. The new themes are extremely user-friendly and they are based on “divs” as opposed to tables.
ECU Mobile Update
The ECU Mobile application rolled out in summer 2011. To date, there’ve been approximately 9814 installs on IOS devices (iPad, iPhone, iPod touch) and 6297 installs on Android devices. (Droid, DroidX, Droid2, etc)
Since the initial roll-out the mobile app has been used approximately 7 hundred thousand times; approximately 2300 times per day. Blackboard is the most used icon on the application followed by athletics, courses, headlines and the directory.
ECU Mobile Phase II (ways to enhance current mobile app; ideas based on feedback from current mobile app. users)
- add departmental directory
- add exploreECU icon
- expand headlines to include colleges and schools
- expand campus map
- add student life information
- expand image collection
Plans are underway to integrate and consolidate ECU directory information to make it easier to locate people and/or departments when needed. The idea stemmed from the mobile application but would be extended to the general website also. The goal is to have all information combined in one search feature. Search results would include location, phone, website address and faculty/staff listing.
Campus Map v2
Existing Layers of the campus map include buildings, parking and emergency blue lights. New layers will include accessible walkways, campus dining, campus housing, computer lab availability and smart classroom. New features will include the orientation tours, transit schedules and places. ECU Search Directory will be added to the campus map as well.
In an effort to improve current CommonSpot pages and make them mobile friendly teams are investigating “Responsive Design.” Responsive Design is a solution that uses a flexible grid that allows content to be re-positioned on the screen. This prevents the user from losing content when shifting from a vertical screen layout to a horizontal layout or vice versa. Selecting Responsive Design would also mean that every CommonSpot page would automatically become mobile friendly.
Future Web Enhancements
- URL Mgmt – develop smart-URLS
- ECU Alert – developing a new light-web page for emergencies
- ECU Search - implement the new-directory
- Contact Us Form Review - evaluate the current form to ensure that it is as efficient as possible
- Google Analytics API – create custom reports for the user or offer a simple solution for the user to create their own
- Video Control Panel
- WordPress theme – update with new ecu.edu look
- CommonSpot Upgrade – scheduled for summer 2012.
- CommonSpot Intranet – allows users the ability to lock-down individual CommonSpot pages and files
Other Cool Stuff
There is currently an RFI in process for a new university-wide Calendar system. The Web Oversight Committee is currently working on this. More information will be brought before the IRCC as it becomes available.
There is currently an RFP in process for a new Catalog system. It will be a hosted solution that offers widgets, web services and various RPI’s.
Gap Analysis Report: (Margaret Umphrey)
Margaret’s group is currently in the process of implementing the UNC Systems Security Framework 27002. The initial Gap Analysis has been completed and results will be shared with university management. IT Security is conducting a risk assessment for the areas that indicated gaps and those results will also be shared with university management. The target day for completion is May 1. Once the plan is developed it would be brought before the IRCC and Technology Steering Committee for review and approval.
Cloud Regulation (Margaret Umphrey)
The Cloud Regulation was tentatively approved by Technology Steering Committee with the stipulation that an implementation plan would be developed. The plan would identify the many hosted services available then prepare a list of which services would be acceptable for the university. The plan must also denote how the services would be tracked and outline a standard for conducting compliance reviews and contract requirements. A hosted services compliance document has already been developed but has not yet been vetted through the university attorney’s office. It is being used to poll vendors to see if they meet compliance requirements. A questionnaire has been developed to determine if/when a hosted services vendor is being used. It will be tested first with Clinical Administrators in the Brody SOM then with critical areas through Faculty and Staff Senate.
*Wendy added that recent campus surveys revealed that 75% of those surveyed supported the idea of required security training.*
Lync : (Belinda Perkinson)
Microsoft Lync 2010 replaces Microsoft Communicator. Lync 2010 is a secure chat and online communication software available to both faculty and staff. It is also available for both Mac and Windows users. Lync allows users to conduct online meetings, give online presentations and invite non-ECU participants to a meeting/presentation. It is scheduled to roll-out to Windows machines on May 7,2012.
Other Lync features include;
- Instant message with other faculty/staff on campus
- Request an impromptu online meeting through the “Meet Now” feature
- Schedule on online video or audio meeting through Outlook
- Meet on-line with off campus colleagues or non-ECU students
- Record a meeting and play it back
- Download a picture
- Create a whiteboard for notes/drawings that can be seen by everyone in your meeting
*Note that all information typed during any online chat is recorded and archived on a separate server*
SharePoint 2010: (Eric Alexander)
New features offered through SharePoint 2010 include:
- Larger array of compatible browsers. (Brings Firefox and Chrome to the forefront.)
- Gives administrators the ability to select their own browser themes
- Includes social features like tagging and rating so users can tag and rate content as they choose
- Business Intelligence enhancements allow users to retrieve documents from external databases
- Personal site social enhancements will offer Facebook-like features
- Visual upgrade allows administrators to convert to 2010 when they are ready
- Will include new tracdac web-parts that were not compatible with SharePoint 2007
General Updates: (Wendy Creasey)
- Social Media Regulation
Recently approved by the Executive Council and forwarded to the Chancellor for review/approval.
- Blackboard Collaborate
Still in process, anticipate having a contract in place through Materials Management within the next week or so.
- Video Standards Task Force
Create a task force made up of campus groups who work primarily with video-related tasks. (ITCS, MTS, etc.) The group would review and discuss campus video needs and create video solutions in terms of storage, server infrastructure and so on.
- IT Governance Website
The webpage formally dedicated to IRCC has now been renamed IT Governance. All IT sub-committees can be linked from this page. www.ecu.edu/ircc
- Other Business