George Bailey, Charles Baldwin, Dana Brooks, Lida Cope, Wendy Creasey, Jo Lynne Daughtry, Ray Drake, Karl Faser, Donna McDonald, Mark Moore, Elmer Poe, Rich Ramirez, Len Rhodes, Jeff Shinpaugh, Brad Simons, Joel Sweatte, Don Sweet, Margaret Umphrey, Bill Wittman
ACE Program Review
Charlie Justice gave the following update on the ACE Student Computer Support Program:
- ACE began in 2003 with approximately 4000 students.
- ACE provides warranty repair for most Apple and Lenovos, software and network support for all students and loaners are provided when they are available.
- ACE services approximately 5000 computers annually.
- ACE also assists students with software installs and configuring email on smartphones, and plays a big role in back-to-school move in.
- The program is evaluated annually for ways to improve services and offerings.
- Going forward ACE will add Dell as a third vendor along with Apple and Lenovo.
Charlie provided the following updates on Opscan:
- ITCS provides service in Austin 103, scanning approximately 5000 sets of tests annually.
- Laupus Library provides services on West Campus scanning approximately 500 sets of tests annually.
- Current software has been in use for a number of years and provides limited formatting.
- New software is more user friendly, offers more options for analysis, and works with existing scanners.
- New software is currently being used on a limited basis in Laupus Library.
- New software and Piratedrive should be available to all faculty users January 2013.
ISO Security Standard Manual
Jack McCoy stated that the Information Security Manual is currently under review by ITCS. The first draft is anticipated in January 2013 with a final draft expected March 2013. Once the final draft has been completed, the document will be ready for endorsement and approval.
Web Environment Restructure
Jo Lynne Daughtry gave the following update on Web Server Restructuring
- IT personnel are currently consolidating servers to reduce costs, complexity and maintenance cycles.
- Upgrading to a new operating system.
- Upgrading ColdFusion to V10.
- Upgrading to FTPS from FTP.
- Setting quotas.
Other Brief Updates
Jo Lynne provided the following lists of items that can help ensure website owners are responsible for their sites and respectful of others referencing their pages.
- Educate site owners on the impact of changing URL’s without planning.
- Educate site owners on setting up redirects if the owner must move a page.
- Educate site owners on using Google analytics reports for broken links.
- Educate site owners on using CommonSpot reports for broken links.
Wendy Creasey provided the following updates before the meeting was adjourned:
- SharePoint and VPN are currently the only alternatives to Cloud Computing.
- Windows 8 is currently supported in ACE although we are asking the campus community not to download at this time. No time line has been set as to when it will be fully supported.
- There will be a pilot for “Turn it In” issued in Spring 2013. This is currently an alternative to SafeAssign
- Microsoft will be ending mainstream support for Windows XP. We are encouraging the campus community to move XP machines to Microsoft 7.