Welcome to first summer session. The first week of a new semester is always a busy time, but we’d like to provide our summer semester faculty with a few topics that may be useful.
- New ITCS Service Request System
- Blackboard: New Features and Enhancements
- Bb Student Mobile App
- SabaMeeting: New Features and Enhancements
- Accessibility: Read&Write for Text to Speech Features
New ITCS Service Request System
There’s a new look at ithelp.ecu.edu. You may know it as the IT Help Desk. We like the new interface and we hope you find it to be an efficient tool when you need our help. The new service request home page also includes a quick way to check the status of your submitted requests, Getting Started guide and contacts for the IT Help Desk. We can also share direct links to specific service request forms, in the newsletter content below you will see a direct link to the Blackboard and SabaMeeting forms. You can read more at the ECU Technology Digest blog.
Blackboard: New Features and Enhancements
- Announcements: Date Restriction Default – we like this change because the default setting is “Not Date Restricted.”
- Browser Support: Microsoft Edge – another approved browser for Blackboard, which you’ve noticed if you have a new PC with Windows 10.
Visit the Blackboard Blog to see the other enhancements. If you need assistance with Blackboard, please submit a Blackboard ticket using the new Service Request system. In fact, save that URL and it will take you right to the Blackboard queue. You will be prompted to login using your PirateID and Passphrase.
Remind your students about the Bb Student Mobile App
Bb Student provides learning anytime, anywhere. Key features include: activity stream, assignments and tests, grades and progress and synchronous learning. Supports iOS 7+, Android 4.0+, and Windows 8.1+. Visit the Bb Student page to learn more about this powerful app.
SabaMeeting: New Features and Enhancements
Mac users now have the ability to upload PowerPoint files directly from their computer.
- Compatibility and support for the El Capitan operating system.
- PowerPoint files created in 16:9 resolution can be imported into SabaMeeting.
Visit the SabaMeeting website for more information. If you need assistance with SabaMeeting, please submit a SabaMeeting ticket using the new Service Request system. You will be prompted to login using your PirateID and Passphrase.
Accessibility: Read&Write for Text to Speech Features
Faculty, staff, and students have access to Read&Write literacy software. Read&Write makes content on the web and in documents more accessible – anytime, anywhere, and on any platform or device. Here are three Text to Speech features that assist with reading materials in different formats.
- Read Aloud – used for reading Microsoft Word and Excel documents, web pages, and email. Video Tutorials: Read Aloud for Windows and Read Aloud for Mac
- PDF Aloud – used for reading accessible PDF documents (scanned by OCR system). Video Tutorials: PDF Aloud for Windows and PDF Aloud for Mac
- Screenshot Reader – used for reading JPG, PNG, images, Flash, and inaccessible PDF documents. Video Tutorials: Screenshot Reader for Windows and Screenshot Reader for Mac
Visit the All Software area within the ECU Download Center to download Read&Write.