First you will need to decide whether you want groups at a COURSE LEVEL or an ACTIVITY LEVEL.
Course Level: the group mode defined at the course level is the default mode for all activities defined within that course. This is determined in the course settings
Activity Level: each activity that supports groups can also have its own group mode defined. If the course setting “Force group mode” is set to “Yes” then the option to define the group mode for individual activities is not available.
How to Create a Group:
- Log into Moodle: http://moodle.aos.ecu.edu
- Locate course in which you wish to set up groups/groupings.
- Locate the “Administration” panel on either the left or right hand side of the course.
- Under administration click on “Groups“
- (A page with two columns should now be present)
- Under the first column, click “Create Group“
- Enter a Group Name and description.
- Click on “Save Changes” (this should bring you back to the group page)
Adding Participants to a Group: (note: this is done after creating a group)
- On the group column page: Make sure the selected group in which to add participants to is highlighted. (usually shown in blue)
- Next, Click “Add/remove users” below the right hand column.
- Use the search window located under the right hand column to search for participants “lastname“.
- Click “Search” (Note: On some browsers, pressing the enter key will not initiate the search.)
- Click on the participants name. (this should make it highlighted)
- Click the “Add” button in the middle of the page to add the participant to the group.
- Next, click the “back to groups” button below the left hand column.
- You should now see the original Groups page.
Note: Next to each Group a pair of parenthesis’ will follow with a number representing the number of members in that group.
Adding a Grouping: (Note: groups must be set up first)
- On groups page, click the “Groupings” tab.
- Click on “Create grouping” located at the bottom of the page.
- Enter the Grouping name. (Description is optional)
Note: You have just created a Grouping, but will need to add the group or participant to the “grouping”
- Choose the grouping in which you wish to add a group too.
- Locate the “Groups” tool for that grouping. (Groups tool resembles “3 people standing together”. It will also be on the same row as the grouping.
- Click the “Groups” icon.
- Select and add which groups or participants to the grouping.
- Next, click “Back to groupings” once all members have been added.