Archives: December 8 – 15, 2010
ONE YEAR SURVEY — complete it now!
The editors of Nephrology On-Demand have striven to provide an educational service that responded to your learning needs. As the year comes to a close, we’d like to know how we did and what we can do to meet your educational needs in 2011.
Please complete our short survey. We will use this information to customize Nephrology On-Demand in 2011 and make your learning experience more fruitful.
Thank you for choosing Nephrology On-Demand for your learning needs. We look forward to serving you in the coming year!
Puzzle of the Week — Anesthetic Considerations in Dialysis Patients
- 1. This class of inhalational agents is, theoretically, contraindicated in patients predisposed to intraoperative acute renal injury because of its toxic metabolite (fluoride)
- 2. This non-depolarizing muscle relaxant is safe to administer to ESRD patients because it undergoes Hoffmann degradation at body temperature
- 3. Mivacurium and this are safe to administer to ESRD patients because they are not excreted by the kidneys
- 4. _____ and cell saver devices are used to administer blood products intraoperatively with the least amount of hemolysis
- 5. Suxamethonium predisposes patients to hyperkalemia, in part, by impairing renal ___-___
- 6. This muscle relaxant is safe to give to ESRD patients because it is primarily excreted in the bile
- 7. The ESRD patient should be at or near his/her ___-___ just prior to receiving general anesthesia
- 8. Currently, the intravenous fluid of choice for ESRD patients receiving anesthesia, despite its higher [K+] than other fluid types
- 9. This muscle relaxant is renally excreted, and if administered to an ESRD patient, usually requires immediate post-operative dialysis
- 10. Both suxamethonium and this are contraindicated in ESRD patients
- 11. These are the likely culprits for causing changes in potassium balance/distribution
- No Times Recorded Yet
Nephrology On-Demand is now on Twitter — @nephondemand
Follow Nephrology On-Demand on Twitter and receive updates on the latest teaching content.
New to Twitter? Not sure how to use it? Click here to get simple instructions and begin following Nephrology On-Demand updates!
Updated Menu Bar
Our menu bar (bottom of your screen) has now changed. New features include:
- Bookmark feature: use this feature to bookmark any teaching resource on Nephrology On-Demand. Come back to the bookmarked page later when you have more time and pick up your learning where you left off
- Social Connections: Share interesting teaching resources with friends/colleagues on Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, and Linkedin. Click the CONNECT button to get started
- Tweet your comments about a teaching resource: use the TWEET button to share your comments with your followers
Abstract Submissions — UPDATED DECEMBER 7, 2010
Keep your eyes on Nephrology On-Demand for more information on the following meetings:
International Forum on Quality and Safety in Healthcare 2011 — Abstract Deadline September 24, 2010
NKF Spring Clinical Meeting 2011 — Abstract Deadline December 3, 2010
North American Society for Dialysis and Transplantation 2010 — Abstract Deadline May 28, 2010
Southern Society for Clinical Investigation 2011 – Young Investigators Forum (YIF) — Abstract deadline October 18, 2010
ACP Medical Student Abstract Competition 2011 — December 1, 2010
ACP Resident and Fellows Abstract Competition 2011 — December 1, 2010
ISN Abstract Competition 2011 — expected deadline not yet announced
American Transplant Congress 2011 — Abstract Deadline December 3, 2010
International Society of Blood Purification — Abstract Deadline
July August 30, 2010
Evidence 2010 — Abstract Deadline August 6, 2010
American Federation of Medical Research: Southern Regional Meetings 2011 — Abstract Deadline October 15, 2010
American Federation of Medical Research: Western Regional Meetings 2011 — Abstract Deadline October 1, 2010
American Society of Hypertension 2011 — Abstract Deadline December 6, 2010
International CRRT Meeting 2011 — Abstract Deadline December 3, 2010