Archive: January 18 – 24, 2011
Nephrology Journal Club — NOW AVAILABLE
Teaching resources are now available. Comments are welcome on Nephrology On-Demand and/or NOD Facebook.
Health Care Transition – 2010 Year-in-Review –NOW AVAILABLE
The International Society of Health Care Transition (ISHCT) is focused on caring for young adolescents who are entering adulthood with kidney disease. Exclusive for Nephrology On-Demand users, the 2010 Year-In-Review presentation is now available. View it here.
Medical Student Summer Research at Vanderbilt University — Registration closes March 15
Medical students interested in research in Nephrology and/or Hypertension are encouraged to apply for the Summer Medical Student Research Program at Vanderbilt University. A stipend is provided and research can be conducted in both clinical and basic science areas.
For more information and registration details visit:
Nephrology In-Training Examination — Registration is now open
Registration for the ASN In-Training Examination in Nephrology (ITE) is now open and can be found here.
Internal Medicine Grand Rounds — DATA FROM THE INAUGURAL YEAR OF NEPHROLOGY ON-DEMAND
Join us on January 28, 2011 as the Editorial and Programming Boards for Nephrology On-Demand present a detailed look at the 2010 version of this website. In-depth data will be presented showing how NOD operates and where the potentials for growth exist.
There will be 4 ways for you to comment:
- through this website (only for registered users)
- through our 2010 Survey (all users)
- through our Facebook page
- through our Twitter page
As always, we welcome your comments.
Puzzle of the Week — Adequacy in Hemodialysis – A Review of NCDS, HEMO, and FHN Trials
- 1. The measurement used to assess dialysis adequacy in the NCDS (NEJM 1981, Volume 305, p. 1176) (__-_-_-___)
- 2. In the HEMO Trial, the clearance of this middle molecular weight molecule was used to measure dialyzer flux ______-_-_______ (NEJM 2002, Volume 347, p. 2010)
- 3. A major limitation in the use of the TAC(urea) as a measure of dialysis adequacy is that if can fluctuate based on _______-______ intake (NEJM 1981, Volume 305, p. 1176)
- 4. Of the 9 secondary outcomes measured, 8 showed improvement when a higher ____ was achieved (NEJM 2002, Volume 347, p. 2010)
- 5. Flux refers to the ease at which __ can cross the dialyzer membrane
- 6. This parameter is an inaccurate measurement of dialysis adequacy, as indicated by the National Cooperative Dialysis Study (NEJM 1981, Volume 305, p. 1176)
- 7. Acronym of one of the earliest studies to look at hemodialysis adequacy (NEJM 1981, Volume 305, p. 1176)
- 8. This variant of the kT/V accounts for the rebound of urea from the intracelluar compartment during dialysis
- 9. One limitation of the NCDS was that patients with this common co-morbidity were excluded from the study (NEJM 1981, Volume 305, p. 1176)
- 10. In the FHN Trial, death was not measured by itself, but rather was a part of two separate _-_______ outcomes ((NEJM 2010, Volume 363, p. 2287)
- 11. The HEMO Trial randomized patients into low and high kT/V (urea) or low and high _______-_______ (NEJM 2002, Volume 347, p. 2010)
- 12. An alternate from of the equilibrated kT/V was used in the FHN Trial to offset the dependence of dialysis prescriptions on body mass (NEJM 2010, Volume 363, p. 2287)
- 13. In an analysis of the secondary outcomes, death showed a statistically significant improvement in the group receiving hemodialysis six times per week ((NEJM 2010, Volume 363, p. 2287)
- No Times Recorded Yet