The 2013 First Quarter Facilities Services Awards for Excellence recipients are Joe Garfi with Grounds Services, for service, and Andre Carmon with Utilities Services – Steam, for spirit.
Sandra May received the second of two 2012 Housekeeping Supervisor Awards for Excellence, for service.
Allen Acklin received the first award in July.
The Organization of African American Staff at East Carolina University conducted its 4th annual toy drive in December to collect items for children of local families in need. The organization acquired a list of toys needed through the Pitt County Department of Social Services, and set out to collect the items.
They acquired all items on the list and more. On Dec. 7, they delivered the collected toys and clothing to the Pitt County Social Services program manager.
The OAAS was developed at ECU as a commitment to African American staff, faculty and students on campus. Programs developed through the organization develop cultural and professional skills and experiences, wellness, networking, mentorship, community outreach, scholarship and economic prosperity.
The 2012 Fourth Quarter Housekeepers Awards for Excellence recipients, for service, are Mitchell Lane and Dennis Patrick with Academics, Herman Jenkins with Health Sciences Campus / School of Medicine, and Verna Taft with Residence Halls / Student Recreation Center.
Members of ECU’s Academic Advising Department won a “best poster” award at the National Symposium on Student Retention, held Oct. 29-31 in New Orleans.
Authors Jayne Geissler, John Trifilo, Elizabeth Coghill and Steven Asby were recognized for their work on “Kudos and Warnings: Managing 55,000+ Flag Notifications to Support Student Success.” The poster highlighted ECU’s early academic alert and response system including assessments by faculty, students and advisors.
The authors were recognized during the CSRDE Best Practices Awards Luncheon, receiving a plaque and $500 award.
At the same conference, Coghill and Geissler presented, “Politics, Logistics, and Support: The Creation and Growth of a Centralized Peer-volunteer Tutoring Center” and were invited to submit a paper that was peer-reviewed and accepted for publication in the conference proceedings.
The 2012 Facilities Services Supervisors Awards for Excellence recipients include, for service, James Lewis with Building Trades, Facilities Services – Health Sciences Campus; and for ambition, Tommy Walston with Grounds Services.
The 2012 Third Quarter Housekeepers Awards for Excellence recipients, for service, are Nora Brown and Donald Northern with academics and Steve Crandall with health sciences; and for ambition, Ivan Ward with residence halls / Student Recreation Center.
The 2012 Third Quarter Facilities Services Awards for Excellence recipients are Joe Holton with Utilities Services – Plumbing and Reg Anauo with Grounds Services for Service.
East Carolina University Chancellor Steve Ballard and geology professor Catherine Rigsby, chair of the UNC Faculty Assembly, were named to the UNC Advisory Committee on Strategic Directions, which will provide input in the development of the next five-year strategic plan for the 17-campus university.
UNC President Thomas Ross and UNC Board of Governors Chairman Peter Hans today announced the creation of the committee, which includes business, education and government leaders from across the state.
Ross and the Board of Governors are working to define the University’s strategic directions for 2013-18. These core goals are pivotal in setting current and future priorities, resource planning and allocation, program planning, review and refinement of academic missions, and strategic planning by UNC institutions.
In support of that effort, this advisory committee chaired by Ross will help assess North Carolina’s current and future workforce needs and recommend degree attainment goals and strategies that are responsive to those needs and changing demographics. The group may also consider recommendations related to higher academic standards and competencies required for a globally competitive workforce.
The Advisory Committee will evaluate relevant data and make a consensus recommendation to Ross in January 2013. The committee members are:
- Tom Ross, President, University of North Carolina
- Peter Hans, Chairman, UNC Board of Governors
- Fred Eshelman, Member, UNC Board of Governors
- Phil Berger, President Pro Tempore, North Carolina Senate
- Thom Tillis, Speaker, North Carolina House of Representatives
- Steve Ballard, Chancellor, East Carolina University
- Mahdu Beriwal, President and CEO, IEM
- Peaches Blank, Member, UNC Board of Governors
- Linda Brady, Chancellor, UNC Greensboro
- Jack Cecil, President, Biltmore Farms
- Janet Cowell, State Treasurer
- Keith Crisco, Secretary, North Carolina Department of Commerce
- Lew Ebert, President, North Carolina Chamber
- William Friday, President Emeritus, University of North Carolina
- Paul Fulton, Member, UNC Board of Governors
- Hannah Gage, Immediate Past Chair, UNC Board of Governors
- Frank Grainger, Vice Chairman, UNC Board of Governors
- Robert Ingram, Retired Executive, GlaxoSmithKline
- Leroy Lail, Member, UNC Board of Governors
- Cynthia Marshall, President, AT&T North Carolina
- Harold Martin, Chancellor, North Carolina A&T State University
- Ken Peacock, Chancellor, Appalachian State University
- Art Pope, CEO, Variety Wholesalers
- Scott Ralls, President, North Carolina Community College System
- Catherine Rigsby, Chair, UNC Faculty Assembly; faculty member, East Carolina University
- Jeff Tarte, Health Care Consultant
- Holden Thorp, Chancellor, UNC-Chapel Hill.