The 2012 Facilities Services Supervisors Awards for Excellence recipients include, for service, James Lewis with Building Trades, Facilities Services – Health Sciences Campus; and for ambition, Tommy Walston with Grounds Services.
The 2012 Third Quarter Housekeepers Awards for Excellence recipients, for service, are Nora Brown and Donald Northern with academics and Steve Crandall with health sciences; and for ambition, Ivan Ward with residence halls / Student Recreation Center.
The 2012 Third Quarter Facilities Services Awards for Excellence recipients are Joe Holton with Utilities Services – Plumbing and Reg Anauo with Grounds Services for Service.
East Carolina University Chancellor Steve Ballard and geology professor Catherine Rigsby, chair of the UNC Faculty Assembly, were named to the UNC Advisory Committee on Strategic Directions, which will provide input in the development of the next five-year strategic plan for the 17-campus university.
UNC President Thomas Ross and UNC Board of Governors Chairman Peter Hans today announced the creation of the committee, which includes business, education and government leaders from across the state.
Ross and the Board of Governors are working to define the University’s strategic directions for 2013-18. These core goals are pivotal in setting current and future priorities, resource planning and allocation, program planning, review and refinement of academic missions, and strategic planning by UNC institutions.
In support of that effort, this advisory committee chaired by Ross will help assess North Carolina’s current and future workforce needs and recommend degree attainment goals and strategies that are responsive to those needs and changing demographics. The group may also consider recommendations related to higher academic standards and competencies required for a globally competitive workforce.
The Advisory Committee will evaluate relevant data and make a consensus recommendation to Ross in January 2013. The committee members are:
- Tom Ross, President, University of North Carolina
- Peter Hans, Chairman, UNC Board of Governors
- Fred Eshelman, Member, UNC Board of Governors
- Phil Berger, President Pro Tempore, North Carolina Senate
- Thom Tillis, Speaker, North Carolina House of Representatives
- Steve Ballard, Chancellor, East Carolina University
- Mahdu Beriwal, President and CEO, IEM
- Peaches Blank, Member, UNC Board of Governors
- Linda Brady, Chancellor, UNC Greensboro
- Jack Cecil, President, Biltmore Farms
- Janet Cowell, State Treasurer
- Keith Crisco, Secretary, North Carolina Department of Commerce
- Lew Ebert, President, North Carolina Chamber
- William Friday, President Emeritus, University of North Carolina
- Paul Fulton, Member, UNC Board of Governors
- Hannah Gage, Immediate Past Chair, UNC Board of Governors
- Frank Grainger, Vice Chairman, UNC Board of Governors
- Robert Ingram, Retired Executive, GlaxoSmithKline
- Leroy Lail, Member, UNC Board of Governors
- Cynthia Marshall, President, AT&T North Carolina
- Harold Martin, Chancellor, North Carolina A&T State University
- Ken Peacock, Chancellor, Appalachian State University
- Art Pope, CEO, Variety Wholesalers
- Scott Ralls, President, North Carolina Community College System
- Catherine Rigsby, Chair, UNC Faculty Assembly; faculty member, East Carolina University
- Jeff Tarte, Health Care Consultant
- Holden Thorp, Chancellor, UNC-Chapel Hill.
The UNC Board of Governors has approved ECU’s plan to pave the 14th Street parking lot, which is covered with gravel now.
The project will create 206 parking spaces and cost $950,000. The cost includes installation of drainage infrastructure, site lighting, security cameras and emergency call stations. The project, which will be paid for with parking receipts, should be completed by November.
The Board of Governors also approved ECU’s plans to replace the air conditioning chiller serving Umstead and Slay residence halls at a cost of $452,000, which will be taken from housing receipts. The project should be completed by next March.