International Postdoctoral Information

Resources for International Postdocs

The Postdoctoral Association would like to welcome you to East Carolina University. As a postdoctoral scholar you are valued member of the university community. We hope that during your time here you will gain valuable experience that will build on the scholarly and research skills that you developed in doctoral study. This page is dedicated to serve you and answer any question you might have and helping you to adjust smoothly in your new home. Additionally, the National Postdoctoral Association offers extensive guidance on many common issues for international postdocs and provides an International Postdoc Survival Guide.

Before arriving to the United States, keep in mind that you will need money to help you obtain housing, food and other necessities prior to receiving your first paycheck. Postdoctoral scholars are paid on the same schedule as all others, and there may be a delay in getting your paycheck depending on when you arrive in the U.S. and how quickly your paperwork is processed. Do not hesitate to talk with your PI or the departmental administrative assistant about arrangements for picking you up from the airport once you arrive in the U.S., what you need to do or bring with you to make your transition to the States easier, and any additional questions or concerns you may have.

Office of International Services

The Office of International Student Services and the Office of Postdoctoral affairs provide administrative, advising, and programming needs for the international students, staff and faculty at East Carolina University. The OIS and OPA websites offer a wealth of information for international Postdocs, such as guidance on what to do when you first arrive in the United States, for off-campus housing, and how to obtain a driver’s license and a Social Security number.

Off Campus Housing

Greenville is a rapidly developing city and securing affordable off campus housing may be a challenge due to the current demand and expense of rental units. Therefore it is important to try and secure accommodations as early as possible. To check for off campus housing click here.


If you are moving to North Carolina from outside of the United States, your previous driving experience will not be factored into your insurance rates.  You are encouraged to obtain a North Carolina’s drivers license. If you choose not to drive, you can ride with the ECU campus transit system or the Greenville Area Transit System (GREAT).

Driver’s License and ID

To obtain a license, learner’s permit, or an ID card in North Carolina, you will need to provide proof of your identity and your date of birth. You will also need to provide proof of your new US residence address and proof of either a Social Security Number (SSN) or documentation issued by the United States Government indicating legal presence (e.g. your I-20 or DS-2019, visa and I-94 card). Call the Greenville office of the Department of Motor vehicles at (252) 830-3456 which is located 3400 S Memorial Dr # 10, Greenville.


All international scholars are required to maintain health insurance throughout their degree program at ECU. For more information, please visit the Office of Postdoctoral affairs website.

School System

If you are moving to the USA with your children and would like further information on the schooling system in the Greenville area, click here.