ECU students, faculty and staff have several options to protect their information.
- Maintain a backup of your data and check it regularly. Departments can purchase CrashPlan or employees can save important work files to their 40GB Piratedrive folder.
- Create your own secure, private cloud using DatAnywhere to sync files between Piratedrive and your mobile devices.
- When working from off campus, connect to your resources through a virtual private network (VPN) connection.
While related and often used interchangeably, the terms, privacy and security have different meanings and purposes, and the differences are an important distinction.
The basic concept of privacy is an expectation of protected data and the right to decide who, when and how that data is shared. On the other hand, information security is the actual practice of protecting information from unauthorized viewing, use, sharing and changes.
In short, information security is implemented and required to ensure data privacy.
Each year, January 28 kicks off Data Privacy Month, an international effort to raise awareness on privacy issues and what users need to know to protect both work and personal data. This year’s focus is on practical measures every user can take to ensure information privacy:
- Creating secure passwords | January 28 – February 3
- Implementing smartphone security | February 4 – February 10
- Avoiding phishing scams | February 11 – February 17
- Preventing identity theft | February 18 – February 25
To learn more about these topics, see these resources from the ITCS website:
More on Data Privacy Day (Month)
“Data Privacy Day began in the United States and Canada in January 2008 as an extension of the Data Protection Day celebration in Europe. Data Protection Day commemorates the January 28, 1981, signing of Convention 108, the first legally binding international treaty dealing with privacy and data protection. Data Privacy Day is now a celebration for everyone, observed annually on Jan. 28.”
It’s always a good idea to: 1) Develop a strong ECU passphrase 2) NEVER share your passphrase 3) Copy important data files to your Piratedrive folder 4) lock your devices when unattended.