Site Life Cycle
WordPress is an open-source Web application designed for creating blogs with both static and dynamic pages. ECU has its own WordPress server, and space is available to faculty, staff, students, departments and groups for personal blogs or academic sites.
The Site Life Cycle outlined below describes the process for selection, implementation, maintenance, and removal of sites.
To request a site the user will need to fill out the Blog Request Form. The request will be reviewed by ITCS to ensure that the site is appropriate for the WordPress environment. If a site is deemed to not be appropriate for our web hosting services, the requester will be informed of the reasons and any possible alternatives that ITCS provides to meet their needs.
Please review the Service Level Agreement to insure you are aware of you responsibility as a site owner!
Site Evaluation Criteria
- Only sites needed in the course of the university/academic work or for an ECU affiliated organization will be hosted
- All sites are subject to review to ensure that the site is meeting Web Standards and the Service Level Agreement defined in this site. If a site is deemed in noncompliance, the requester will be informed and corrective action will be taken up to and including removal of the site.
Please submit this request if you require assistance configuring your blog or theme, adding a widget or other support-related help.
If you have new functionality you would like to see added please be aware that the review process will take at least two weeks.
Some of the things we look for in determining adding new functionality are:
- Functionality doesn’t already exist
- Solution is Compatible with Multisite WordPress
- Any Plugins Used to Provide Functionality are Actively Updated with a Large User Base
- Doesn’t completely overhaul base WordPress Functionality
ITCS reserves the right to disable or delete any site for the following, but not limited to, reasons:
- Violation of this SLA or any applicable policy or guideline
- Consuming Excessive Server/Network Resources
- Storing of data that is not allowed for this environment such as PCI, HIPAA, PHI, PII, FERPA and other sensitive data
- Site has not been updated in 2+ years
- Site was created and not used after a period of 1 year.
Process: The site owner is emailed to ensure the site is still needed. If the owner does not respond in 30 days, the site will be taken offline and archived for one year before final removal.