- Artstor: Artstor is a digital library of nearly one million images in the areas of art, architecture, the humanities, and social sciences
- JStor: the Journal Storage Project is complete back files of 218 important research journals in the humanities, social sciences and sciences.
- Digital Resource Collection: The DRC is a local collection of digital images used in SoAD courses.
- The Dwight M. Holland Ceramics Collection: Produced by the SoAD Media Center and Joyner Digital Collections to represent a portion of a donated ceramics and oral histories of NC ceramicists.
- Museum without Walls: African Art Collection database project was a distance learning program that combined computer applications with flexible, interdisciplinary curriculum modules.
- SoAD Portfolio Collection: this collection houses select portfolios of SoAD students.
Our holding of magazines and art journals is extensive. With publications like Art in America, Animation, College Art Association, American Cinematographer, The Chronicle, Oriental Art, Metalsmith, Modern Painters, and Communication Arts, all areas of the art school are represented. This resource is valuable in containing the most up to date information on current issues and exhibition opportunities. All past issues of magazines are available for student checkout.
Reserve and Reference
The Media Center maintains a variety of books and publications for room use. Included are SoAD masters thesis and other materials that apply to all programs in the SoAD. Donated special collections include a variety of reference books on African art. These were acquired from Dr. James W. Lankton now part of the SoAD’s African Art Collection. Other collections included personal books from faculty and the NC Museum of Art.
Reference materials are also deposited by faculty for the use of students for specific courses. These include study resources like slides, personal books, course packs, periodicals and videos.