News 14 Carolina launched in the Raleigh/Durham/Fayetteville and Charlotte markets in 2002 as an exclusive service of Time Warner Cable. In September 2006, News 14 Carolina expanded its award-winning network into the Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point market and then launched on the North Carolina coast in August 2008. Time Warner Cable has pioneered the 24-hour, local news channel industry with news channels serving New York City, Rochester, Albany, Buffalo, the Hudson Valley and Syracuse, NY and Austin, TX as well as the markets served by News 14 Carolina.
News 14 Carolina utilizes a state-of-the-art, digital facility. Our unique, high-tech newsgathering and production techniques allow us to keep our news programming continuous and updated every day around the clock. Time Warner Cable’s extensive fiber optic network allows News 14 Carolina to send or receive audio, video and data to all newsrooms in the state. At the same time, News 14 Carolina sends 4 unique local news and weather channels to each geographical area.
Along with continuous, convenient local news and Weather on the Ones, News 14 Carolina is the only network to provide a live, state-wide, nightly, half-hour sports show, Sports Night. News 14 Carolina also provides a weekly, half-hour program devoted to politics, Political Connection.
We offer opportunities to students who are motivated and eager to learn about broadcast journalism and gain valuable experience in a newsroom environment. Currently there are internship opportunities in Raleigh, Greensboro, Charlotte and Wilmington, NC. The following departments are looking for interns who will help plan, execute and coordinate various aspects of news media.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Reporting– Shadow reporters in the field, news writing, interviewing and assisting in the production of news stories.
- Photojournalism – Shadow photojournalists in the field, electronic news gathering, lighting and audio and non-linear digital editing.
- Sports – Shadow sports staff, sports writing, monitors and log sports video, and videotape editing.
- Meteorology – work closely with staff meteorologists on developing forecasts and updating graphics for on-air use.
- Web Production – Create, edit and publish content on news14.com, assist Web staff with production of interactive features and contribute to social media initiatives.
- Production -
· Control – Will learn how to operate the Dalet Automation system (controlling news wheels), cue control rooms/talent during live events via IFB panels, operate IVDR backup system, will learn how to extract/edit video from the FIFO system, and will get an overview on basic microwave and satellite tuning.
· Control Rooms – Will learn basic functionality of Soundcraft/Amek audio boards, will learn how to operate cameras via robotic automation system (Telemetrics), will learn how to operate Teleprompter system (BDL), will learn how to set (audio) mix-minus for anchors and field talent. In addition, the intern will shadow the Technical director, learning how to execute clip production (rolling video elements from the Production control room application), live show rundowns, communicate with talent via IFB, video switching, and will learn how to manipulate the graphics interface (VIZRT).
- Capital Tonight – Students interested in political journalism will assist in writing scripts, booking guests, confirming stories and researching interview segments for political show. Also learn how to produce and booth a live show.
Candidates for internships MUST:
Receive academic credits for the internship assignment.
Have strong interpersonal, verbal/written communication skills, leadership and organizational abilities.
Maintain a professional appearance, be enthusiastic, and have a demonstrated interest in journalism and news.
Be able to commit to interning approximately 16 hours per week.
Coursework and previous internship experience in communications, journalism or related field is preferred.
This is an UNPAID INTERNSHIP.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Specify the area or type of position you are interested and rationale for selecting this area in the cover letter. Interested students must complete the online application at www.timewarnercable.com/careers.