Summer 2014 Internship Program Marina Maher Communications – New York, NY
Marina Maher Communications – New York, NY
Graduate and Undergraduate Interns at MMC are given a wide range of responsibilities including media monitoring; drafting press releases, pitch letters, and client reports; conducting research for creative mailings and client programs; executing event logistics; developing media lists and coordinating media outreach efforts; conducting measurement; maintaining team systems and account financial binders. Interns may also have the chance to work with digital strategist, content creators and community managers in creating and managing posts and communications materials to grow and increase the brand’s presence through Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc. Our graduates and interns keep up with current events and trends; actively participate in team meetings; and demonstrate strong initiative and good judgment.
Our 10-week summer program focuses on three key areas :
- Account Work: our internship program is designed to provide college juniors, seniors and recent graduates with the best possible experience in the industry. You will gain PR experience in the following areas: writing and assembling press materials, event planning, media outreach and research, creative mailings and day-to-day client activities.
- New Business Project: collaborating with an MMC account team, and under the guidance of senior agency leadership, MMC interns create a program and presentation for a new business development opportunity. At the end of the summer program our interns pitch their PR program ideas to the agency and client.
- Training and Development: our interns are encouraged to participate in the agency’s training program, MMC Masters, as well as our Junior Committee and Mentorship program, in order to further boost their professional and personal development. Training is facilitated weekly and courses include Business Etiquette and Developing Presence; Managing Up; Research Methodologies for PR; Strengthening Your Pitch; Media Analysis; Writing Workshops and more.
Graduates in the program may have the opportunity to join MMC following the 10-week program in a full-time entry level role. This decision is traditionally determined in late July and is dependent on agency staffing needs as well as your performance throughout the 10 weeks.
- Minimum 4 year degree – completed or in progress. Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, English, or a related field preferred, however our agency considers students in all areas of study.
- Internship experience; PR agency or other marketing services agency experience a plus
- Strong writing and research skills
- Superior oral communication skills; excellent writing skills; creativity
- Social media savvy, digital capability, and online presence
- Maintains a solid grasp of and curiosity for social, digital, and word-of-mouth marketing
- Leadership experience and/or affiliations in student or professional associations
- Ability to multi-task, work well on a team and work well under the pressure of deadlines
- Proficiency in Work, Excel, PowerPoint required; video editing and other programs a plus
Application Criteria: If you are passionate about being part of a collaborative, empowered and dynamic team that drives results for clients, then we encourage you to join us at Marina Maher Communications!
To apply for MMC’s Summer Program please submit the materials outlined below to email@example.com with “ 2014 Summer Program ” in the subject line before February 14, 2014.
1. Professional Resume
2. Creative Executive Bio (in lieu of cover letter) drafted in any format to include responses to 8 of the 12 statements below. Have fun and be inventive with your responses – it’s about content creation! Creative formats such as video, social medial, PowerPoint etc are highly encouraged.
- My words to live by are…
- I would be voted “most likely to…”
- I am most passionate about, or inspired by…
- If I started my own company tomorrow, the first two people I would hire…
- The song that “gets me going” is…
- My favorite blog is…because…
- The most daring thing I’ve ever done is…
- I can’t stop talking about…
- If I could be present for any one moment in history, the event would be…
- If I could have any superpower for a day, it would be…
- Three words I would use to describe myself are…
- If I won the lottery tomorrow, the first three things I would do are….
3. One sample Blog Post on any topic of your choosing. Your post should be no longer than 300 words.
Please be sure to submit these materials as outlined above even if you previously applied, were referred by a member of our agency, or already spoke with a member of our team about this program. We kindly request that you do not apply directly to members of the HR team or MMC staff.
Marina Maher Communications