Student Affairs-Social Media Intern Job Description- Summer/Fall 2018
OVERALL JOB PURPOSE
The Social Media Intern is responsible for coordinating and executing the social media strategy for Student
Affairs, working across key social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat. This
role will be instrumental in increasing our Divisional social media presence and gaining visibility for our brand
among students, faculty, staff, alumni and the Greenville community.
• Maintain and continue development of the Facebook page, Twitter, Instagram, and other social media
platforms including appropriate utilization of site features to market upcoming Student Affairs events
• Engage within the social media platforms on a daily basis and using tools like Hootsuite to plan future
posts under the supervision of the Chief of Communications for Student Affairs.
• Provide social media coverage at various Student Affairs events determined by the Chief of
Communications through Instagram Stories, Facebook Live and posts.
• Maintain a social media calendar to ensure that deadlines are met.
• Manage the SA Flickr account by uploading photos taken at various events on a weekly basis.
• Identifying relevant Student Affairs stories, developing materials, and writing copy for social media
posts that can also be used on the website, Pirate 411 or for the SA On-Deck newsletter.
• Conduct research, as requested, on new marketing trends and mediums. Solicit feedback from students
and staff through on-site informal interviews and through social listening.
• Track key social media analytics on a monthly basis, including the various social media platforms,
Google Analytics, Bitly statistics, etc.
• Assist in the quality control process by proofing and reviewing web site content, graphics, and
appearance; and checking other printed materials such as press releases, Pirate 411, Student Affairs On-
Deck Newsletter, when needed.
• Assist in development of presentation content for student organizations, campus groups, departments,
academic classes, and others as deemed appropriate.
• Assisting in the development and implementation of a “social media street team” for 2019-2020.
• Other duties as assigned by the Chief of Communications for Student Affairs.
REQUIREMENTS FOR CANDIDACY
We seek candidates who are students in the College of Communication, College of Business or School of Art and
Design who are Marketing, Public Relations, or Communications majors or related field who meet the
• Enrollment as a full-time student at East Carolina University
• Continued enrollment of a 2.5 GPA or higher
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Familiarity with key social media platforms and with Microsoft Office products
• A pro-active attitude with excellent attention to detail and a high motivation to learn
• Flexible schedule to work occasional nights and weekends, totaling 10-12 hours per week during the
• Must have access to your own personal laptop and smartphone for social media posts
• Past participation or leadership experience in Student Organizations.
• Demonstrated experience using Adobe Creative Cloud Apps and Services.
• Experience in website management and design.
• Experience in public relations, marketing, or communications.
DATES OF EMPLOYMENT &COMPENSATION
• Expected work dates are August 15, 2018 – December 14, 2018 and January 7, 2019 – May 3, 2019
• Hourly pay and optional course credit available
Please email a cover letter, updated resume, and list of three references including name, phone number and email address to Emily
McLamb, Student Affairs – Chief of Communications, at email@example.com.