North Texas PGA Internship- Fall 2018- Paid
The PGA of America is the largest working sports organization in the world with over 28,000 members and associates and over 400 staff members throughout the country. As “experts in the game and business of golf,” the purpose of the PGA is to promote the enjoyment of and involvement in the game of golf, and to contribute to its growth by serving millions of people throughout its 41 Sections nationwide.
The Northern Texas Section of the PGA of America is headquartered in Dallas, and serves more than 350 golf facilities and 850 professional members across northern Texas. In addition to managing the day-to-day affairs of the Northern Texas PGA, the Section operates the Northern Texas PGA Junior Tour (“Junior Tour”). The Junior Tour is the largest and most comprehensive of its kind with more than 4,000 junior members and over 400 tournaments conducted annually.
The mission of the Northern Texas PGA is to serve the member and grow the game.
September 4 – December 12, 2018 (start and finish dates are somewhat flexible based on successful applicant’s school schedules)
The Northern Texas PGA (NTPGA) is seeking two (2) qualified applicants for a 14-week internship position in media and tournament operations during the fall of 2018. Successful applicants will be primarily responsible for assisting with the Section and Foundation’s marketing and media relation activities. When needed, successful applicants will also assist with tournament operations. The following information will provide you with a better understanding of the internship.
- Videoing and photographing events to create highlight videos and other media promotions
- Communicate with and interview juniors, parents and PGA golf professionals
- Manage and promote the NTPGA and NTPGA Junior Tour via social media outlets, including
Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat & YouTube
- Assist with marketing, advertising & campaign strategies to promote the NTPGA
- Assist with the management of the NTPGA Website – www.ntpga.com
- Assist with the management of the NTPGA Junior Golf Website – www.www.ntpgajuniorgolf.com
- Compose media releases to recap tournaments and events
- Compile information to create effective email promotions for the NTPGA and NTPGA Junior Tour
- Provide on-site tournament operations support as needed
- Ability to operate video cameras and audio equipment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Enjoy working with children and young adults ages 7-19
- Organized, punctual, energetic, and a self-starter
- Ability to work and communicate effectively in a team-based environment
- Innovative, creative and detail oriented
- College degree (or working towards a degree) required
- Automobile access with willingness and ability to travel within the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex required
- Interest in a career in sports media preferred
- Basic knowledge of the game of golf a plus
- Photography skills a plus
- Graphic design skills a plus
- Must have existing insurance through school or parents
KNOWLEDGE OF SOFTWARE:
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Ability to edit video using software such as Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite a plus (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and/or After Effects)
- Ability to use Apple Computers and Operating System
- Work early mornings
- Work outside in extreme weather and temperatures, and spend much of the day in direct exposure to the sun
- Work in an office setting
- Safely operate a golf cart
- Stand and move around on foot for extended periods of time
- Public speaking
- Effectively use and operate cell phones and handheld radios
FALL TOURNAMENT & OFFICE SCHEDULE:
The media interns will be responsible for attending tournaments conducted about once a week. On average, the media interns can expect to work in the office three days a week and both weekend days at tournaments. They will be given days off during the week to accommodate working weekend days. The media interns should expect to work, on average, 5 days a week with the exception of a few special events. The interns will work approximately 35-40 hours each week. Additional tasks and hours can be added for those with special requirements for obtaining school credit.
Tournaments will be spread throughout the entire Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex as well as the potential for a few in East and West Texas. There will be approximately two (2) events outside of the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex this fall that will require extended travel. Carpooling to tournaments is allowed and strongly encouraged. The Northern Texas PGA office is located in North Dallas. Interns will be responsible for their own transportation to and from the office and all tournaments and events.
- All interns will be compensated at $7.50 per hour (minimum wage is $7.25 per hour) (pre-tax)
- All interns will be compensated at $11.25 per hour if / when they work more than more than 40 hours per week (pre-tax)
- Fall interns will be guaranteed a bi-weekly minimum of $500 during the fall season
- Five (5) PGA staff golf shirts
- 3 PGA Hats
- School credit (if applicable)
The Northern Texas PGA does not provide housing of any kind, but will be more than happy to assist with the location of housing for those unfamiliar with the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex. Past interns have utilized corporate housing agencies for fully furnished apartment leases, secured house leases through CraigsList or utilized extended stay hotels. Those with family or friends in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex are welcome to stay there and are in no way obligated to live with other interns.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, résumé and list of references. Letters of recommendation are not required but are strongly encouraged. Please specify that you are applying for our Fall Media and Operations Internship. You can find this bulletin as well as additional information on our internship program under the internship opportunities tab at the bottom of our website at www.ntpgajuniorgolf.com. Applications will be accepted via mail or email. Please submit all materials or questions to Molly Rawlins.
Director of Communications & Marketing
15150 Preston Road, Suite 250
Dallas, Texas 75248
(214) 420-7421 ext. 101
Friday, July 27 or until positions filled
The PGA of America, Northern Texas Section is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Successful applicants will be required to undergo an authorized background check.