Communications & Development Intern Alzheimer’s Association, Eastern North Carolina Chapter Fall 2018
Position Description: Communications & Development Intern
Alzheimer’s Association, Eastern North Carolina Chapter
The mission of the Alzheimer’s Association is to eliminate Alzheimer’s disease through the advancement of research, to provide and enhance care and support for all affected, and to reduce the risk of dementia through the promotion of brain health. The Alzheimer’s Association Eastern North Carolina Chapter operates out of Raleigh, and covers 51 counties from the Triangle to the Coast!
General Statement of Responsibilities
The Intern for the Communications & Development department is responsible for assisting with special event coordination and public relations initiatives throughout the chapter, including:
- Cultivating new media contacts and coordinating media promotion of a variety of events and activities throughout the year.
- Building awareness about Alzheimer’s as a public policy issue, and local services provided and recognition of the Alzheimer’s Association brand in Eastern North Carolina.
This unpaid position reports to the Sr. Special Events Coordinator and will be based from Raleigh office at 5171 Glenwood Avenue, Suite 101 Raleigh, NC. This position requires at least 16 hours in the office each week. Flexible work hours and occasional evening and weekend work is required, but will be discussed in advance to allow for school, work, etc.
Core Internship Responsibilities
Increasing awareness of the Alzheimer’s Association and participation in events by;
- Assisting with oversight, monitoring and strengthening engagement on social media channels.
- Writing press releases and helping to secure media coverage for local events and initiatives.
- Maintaining media contact lists in all major ENC markets.
- Collecting stories of advocates and family members who are willing to speak with media and assist in planning media calendar to share stories collected.
- Preparing mass mailings, newsletters, social media graphics and a communications to assist with increasing awareness of ENC’s Walk to End Alzheimer’s, Education initiatives, RivALZ and The Longest Day.
- Engage with participants of our Walk to End Alzheimer’s events to assist them in reaching their fundraising goals by providing tips and materials.
- Provide exemplary customer service to these participants by welcoming them to our events, thanking them for their support, assisting with website issues, etc.
- Ensure sponsors for all Walks are receiving appropriate recognition on social media as well as benefits they’re entitled to.
- Assist with packing and organizing materials in preparation for meetings and events.
Base level experience opportunities:
- Organizing and empowering grassroots advocates on public policy issues
- Coordinating traditional media and/or digital media
- Actively building media relationships
- Practical knowledge of non-profit communications and its role in overall awareness
- Identifying and implementing strategic communications objectives to achieve goals related to awareness and community education
Key Professional Attributes
- Self-management skills.
- High level of diplomacy, integrity and initiative.
- Ability to build effective relationship networks with a diverse variety of people (inside and outside the Association)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, reflecting an understanding of the appropriate use of communication technologies and an appreciation that each audience requires its own approach.
- Ability to prioritize and remain flexible while managing multiple tasks.
- Ability to maintain political neutrality as a representative of the Alzheimer’s Association, setting personal inclinations aside in charged political environments.
- Highly collaborative and team-focused.
The Alzheimer’s Association welcomes all qualified applicants. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. This internship is a non-paid position.
To apply, please send resume to Bewood@alz.org. No phone calls, please.